ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft Publishes Detailed Vista SP1 Changelog

<< < (3/3)

Eóin:
Actually the switch to Server 2003 is one I'm thinking I'll be making myself over the Christmas break. (which begins next week :eusa_dance: ) I only have a legal license for 32bit which is unfortunate but is also all the more reason to continue to dual boot with Vista x64.

I've already been toying with it in a VM, I applied Windows X's Windows Server 2003 - XP Conversion Pack, though not the full switch everything to XP, I was conservative. Some initial tests were very promising, two of my favourite shell extensions (Link Shell Extension and HashTab) worked perfectly. Windows update gave no issues. Heck even the Vista Transformation Pack also from Windows X worked but I wouldn't bother with that really.

Drivers are however my concern and I won't really be able to know how that will pan out until I try it on real hardware, so you can be sure I'll be imagining my current XP disk should it all crash and burn.

I'll report my experiences here if people are interested, f0dder in your case though I think XP x64 is built on the Server 2003 codebase so the switch probably wouldn't be necessary. But that's worth looking into.

f0dder:
I'll report my experiences here if people are interested, f0dder in your case though I think XP x64 is built on the Server 2003 codebase so the switch probably wouldn't be necessary. But that's worth looking into.
-Eóin (December 09, 2007, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
Exactly :)

But even with 32bit XP, I do wonder why people are doing this... sure, the win2k3 codebase is better (looks like they use a more recent optimizing compiler, and have a couple of assembly-optimized routines), and iirc there's some additional security features - but still, why? I'd really love to hear something tangible from somebody :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version