ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Max Alert = Max Ripoff

(1/3) > >>

Tinman57:
  On 10/4/2006 I ordered Max Alert Registry Cleaner over the internet.  One year later it came up with a message stating that I had to register it and input a new registration number.  I attempted several times to do this but it only took me to a subscription page.  I didn't want to upgrade the program, just use the registry cleaner that I paid for.
  I contacted Max Alert's customer service and they told me that in order to continue using it I had to pay them again for a subscription.
  I read 3 reviews on this software, including on their own web site and there was no mention of a yearly subscription, in which I told them this.  They sent me a copy of an order page (not mine) showing at the very bottom was a blurb saying "This is one year subscription and Electronic delivery only".
  I never saw this on the order page, and find it very sneaky to put this on the order page to begin with, if it was indeed there.  I researched everything about this software before purchasing it, and even the reviews from other web sites didn't mention a subscription.  This software does not have to access their web site in order to run.
  If I had of seen this subscription notice I would have thought it would be for future updates, which I wouldn't be concerned about since it's only a registry cleaner and not an anti-virus or anti-spyware/malware program that has to be constantly updated and would require a subscription.
  These people are putting the screws to a lot of people, especially hiding the fact that it's a one year subscription service on the order page (if it existed in the first place) and not on the FAQ page.   :mad:

kimmchii:
i think it is on their faq page:

How do I renew my License/Subscription? Once the one year subscription period is over, you will have to re-purchase the software. You can send a mail to us onto: [email protected] for a new Registration Number. Then you will have to register the product again by clicking on Register Now button on main user Interface of the application.

kimmchii:
there are tons of great free registry cleaners anyway, why you need to use this unknown cleaner?

i stopped using registry cleaners 5 years ago, they are not necessary.

Ralf Maximus:
I theenk, from reading Tinman's post, that he feels they changed the rules on him.  There's no guarantee that the FAQ on their site now is the same one that was up in 2006. 

In fact, Wayback Machine doesn't have any archives on the place prior to July 2007.  The FAQ may not have even existed when he bought the software.

Even so, the "purchase information" only states that it costs "$29.95 per copy" without mentioning a subscription.  You have to dig down farther in the FAQ to even see that, and it's deceptively labeled "How do I RENEW my license/subscription?"  The implication being that those customers who have opted for a subscription have an option to renew -- no mention that it's required.

So I think Tinman has a valid beef.  But even as deceptive as it is, legally there's not much recourse.  The only thing to be done now is what Tinman is already doing: spreading the word about his dissatisfaction.

Kimmchii, I hate to sound harsh, but it doesn't matter if you think it's silly he bought this software.  You've probably bought things somebody else thinks is stupid -- that's not the point.  Somebody spent money with a vendor and now feels ripped off.  I wish there was more to be done, but all I can offer is commiseration.

Tinman57:
  Like I said before, I read ALL OF THEIR FAQS on their website, and read 3 reviews, one by them, and no one ever mentioned that you had to buy the software every year.  And now your saying they're hiding it in the Subscription Faq???  How would you know if you even needed a subscription in the first place unless you read through all the faqs?

I have never, and I do mean never, heard anyone ever state that registry cleaners were not necessary.  I don't know what OS you use kimmchii, but with all the Windows OS's I have ever used needed them very badly.  Every tweak guide I have ever read has stated this fact, plus all the professionals that deal with Windows.
  Before I started using registry cleaners my computer system was almost at a halt.  After cleaning it all up and optimizing it, it was like getting a new computer with twice the CPU power.  And I can't tell you how many times I have had to use a registry cleaner/fixer to repair the registry that the OS had successfully munged that Windows for some reason wouldn't restore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version