topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: CHS causing "the picture is too large and will be truncated" error in excel?  (Read 11384 times)

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmmm! Is there any troubleshooting routine that I can follow, which can give you the most important information about what might be causing this error. At the moment, it seems that I am the only one having this issue.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Try this:
1. first make sure the error is still happening
2. Assuming so, post a screenshot of your rules in CHS
3. And then try another rule for excel like the first, but this time reject CF_ENHMETAFILE.
4. Problem persists then show me another screenshot of your rules.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Mouser,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I got caught up in a project and had turned off CHS for a few days.

Today I tried out the different combinations you suggested:

Rejecting CF_METAFILEPICT resulted in the excel error "The picture is too large and will be truncated", every time I copied the entire (even blank) excel worksheet:

CHS-Rules-20200519-CF_METAFILEPIC-Reject.pngCHS causing "the picture is too large and will be truncated" error in excel?

Then I tried rejecting CF_ENHMETAFILE. The error remained, every time I copied the entire (even blank) excel worksheet:

CHS-Rules-20200519-CF_ENHMETAFILEPIC-Reject.pngCHS causing "the picture is too large and will be truncated" error in excel?

After this, I rejected both CF_METAFILEPICT and  CF_ENHMETAFILE. Same error, every time I copied the entire (even blank) excel worksheet:

CHS-Rules-20200519-CF_METAFILEPICT-Reject_&_CF_ENHMETAFILEPIC-Reject.pngCHS causing "the picture is too large and will be truncated" error in excel?

I unintentionally changed the settings to store CF_METAFILEPICTand reject  CF_ENHMETAFILE. The same error occured once. But when I tried copying again, there was no error. Interesting this is happening everytime now. The error turns up once and then I am able to copy as usual, with this setting:

CHS-Rules-20200519-CF_METAFILEPICT-Store_&_CF_ENHMETAFILEPIC-Reject.pngCHS causing "the picture is too large and will be truncated" error in excel?

Looking for other similar errors or references to the two clipbard formats and excel, I came across these two webpages:

http://www.mschaef.c...is_in_your_clipboard (Not related to the error, but interesting as to my untrained eye, this looks similar to the Blob entry in CHS)

https://sourceforge....d/af8d949a/?limit=25 (Similar error with these two clipboard formats. No resolution posted)

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Information from https://blog.techinl...d-will-be-truncated/

As soon as you identify the software that’s causing the error, contact its developer and share the below instructions with them:

Information for developers:
If your application interacts with the Windows clipboard using OLE technology, this indicates that somewhere your source code calls of the IDataObject interface. This interface contains the GetData method, which can result in the described Excel error when it tries to receive clipboard content in CF_METAFILEPICT format.

How to fix:
Skip the GetData call if the requested format is CF_METAFILEPICT.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Latest Update:

After the changes made in my last post, "The picture is too large and will be truncated" error was occurring once every-time I restarted and copied something from excel. Since a couple of weeks that no longer is the case. I am not receiving any error at all and everything is functioning fine. In case there is any change in this pattern, I will report back here.