ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Idea: File note

<< < (11/15) > >>

Nod5:
090426: added ini option to place filenotes for a folder in the folder
http://nod5.dcmembers.com/filenoter.html

skooter1121:

I have created two new file extensions .MEMO and .ToDo and have added them to the explorer context menu. Both types are associated with Notepad. This allows me to easily search for either type, and open in notepad.

I tried replacing Notepad with Wordpad (all versions from Win 3.1 to Vista) but was unsuccessful in saving as a rtf format in my .MEMO or .ToDo extensions. I think is has something to do with Wordpad not having a save as... so it saves any rtf formatted file only as .rtf   Thought it would be nice to pop a screen capture or format text in my .MEMO files. Oh well...

Thought I have seen a AHK script that would scan for text files and show the list and the first line in a GUI. Would  be helpful for my .ToDo files. But, I can't find it.

A different type of ToDo list.

Thanks again.
A great tool.

-S

MilesAhead:
Back in 1999, Moonsoftware released a little app called FileNote. I used it so much it became second nature but when I moved up to a 64 bit OS it no longer worked.
-Cuffy (December 07, 2007, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sometimes these 32 bit shell extensions will work on a 64 bit system if you access them through a 32 bit explorer window.

This tutorial shows how to create a shortcut to open a 32 bit explorer window:
=Shortcuts]Tutorial

Alternatively if you are running Vista 64 bit you can try Half Shell.  The page for
it is here

Half Shell is about half way down the page. :)

Nod5:
skooter1121: Ok, so for any selected file "filename.ext" you can right click and then create a filename.MEMO or filename.ToDo for it. Neat! I can see how that makes it easy to find when searching. Using a tag in the non-extension part of the filename also makes searching easier. But since some programs allow for sorting based on extension your alternative might be better sometimes.  :Thmbsup:

When I tested saving Wordpad rtf content as "filename.memo" then Wordpad renamed it to "filename.memo.rtf". I can't see a way to fix that internally. An external workaround would be a script that regularly scans the system for all files ending with "_____.memo.rtf" and renames them to "____.memo"

I'm not sure what todo list script you're thinking of. But if it exists then hopefully someone else here might have heard of it.  :) If you save the notes in the same folder then something like this might be enough:

--- ---Loop, C:\somefolder\*.ToDo ,0,1 ;-- exclude folders, recurse
{
line =
FileReadLine, line, %A_LoopFileLongPath%, 1
out = %out%%A_LoopFileLongPath%`n%line%`n`n
}
msgbox, %out%
But if you place the .ToDo files in many different folders/files then an AHK script might take to long to be useful. Everything ( http://www.voidtools.com/ ) can find the files instantly (if you have NTFS drives) but can't automate reading and presenting the first lines of text. Later on when we've gotten an upgraded Everything plugin for FARR then I think FARR could easily achieve what you're after.

skooter1121:
Nod5,

Here is my thought on how to create a new type of ToDo list:

Say I have a folder called \Working, where I keep all pending projects in subfolders. Each subfolder has a .ToDo file. The GuI I had in mind would search the Working folder, present a sortable list of .ToDo files, their creation date, folder location, and the first line of the file.  At a quick glance you could see exactly where you were, without having to open another program, and set up an event, it's all in the file name.You could even build a # to ##### star priority/status code into the file name .ini file., or a 30 day automatic due date.

Since I see customers once every few months it usually take me an hour or so  just to get back to where I left off. Having the ToDo list in the folder itself would save so much time.

I have never seen a .ToDo list that would work this way, a simple click of the context menu opens a notepad, enter some text and you are off.

-Skooter1121

I use FileNanny to quickly create a group of folders for files then FileNoter to create my .ToDo and .MEMO files. Works like a charm. (Wonder if I could tie  those two AHK apps together as one?)

-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version