Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 28, 2014, 03:48:53 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Simplest way to add a command to Explorer's shell menu?  (Read 6110 times)
tranglos
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 06, 2007, 05:42:14 PM »

Okay, I really should know this, but there it is, I don't smiley I need to add a single command to Explorer's context menu for all files (not folders), manually. I hardly ever use Explorer, since Total Commander is my thing, but there's an increasing number of apps that embed explorer's shell nenu in their file listings (Nero, Acronis True Image, etc). Often I want to view the contents of files in these contexts, but there is no viewer in XP and "Open with" doesn't qute cut it for effiiciency. So I want to add a command, for every file type, that will open the file in Total Commander's lister.exe.

I know there are tools to remove junk from the shell menu (e.g. Shell menu view by Nirsoft), but now I want to do the reverse, hopefully for free. I've no problems with editing the registry, and I think the entry should go under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers, but that's  about what I can figure out. In Explorer -> Tools -> Folder options -> File types you can only add a new action for a specific file type; specifying no extension or "*" doesn't work. (The former produces an error, the latter is ignored.)

I should really know this by now. I was sick with fever when they taught shell menus, I was.

.marek

kimmchii
Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 06:23:11 PM »

create a shortcut in the "send to" folder then right click on file>send to>the program?

If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony
tranglos
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 07:44:20 PM »

create a shortcut in the "send to" folder then right click on file>send to>the program?

Ah! It's been years since I used Send To last, but there it is, thanks! :) I'd still prefer a menu item that doesn't require fishing through a submenu, but this will do fine for now.

.marek

AndyM
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 09:40:36 PM »

Does this help:?

http://www.donationcoder....ic=9357.msg69966#msg69966
tranglos
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 10:20:36 PM »

Thank you, Andy! It's "shell", not "shellex", after all. For the record, here's the two settings required:

The "OpenWithLister" key is just an internal handle, can be anything. For the "(Default)" value specify the menu item label (with hotkey):

Next, add a "Command" subkey, and for the "(Default)" value specify the path to program and argument:

Now I have my beloved lister everywhere and it's all good!
.marek

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 10:44:17 PM »

here is a Delphi component that might be useful..

http://www.david-taylor.m...nents.html#AddContextMenu

Nighted
Charter Honorary Member

Meat Popsicle

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »

awxShellFish

I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.
PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 10:37:10 AM »

Did you try this one, Nighted?
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 07:39:54 PM »

the web page, arniworld has some cool shell applications. good find, Nighted!

Nighted
Charter Honorary Member

Meat Popsicle

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 02:57:57 AM »

Did you try this one, Nighted?

Yes, it's very good. You can basically do the same thing with many others though (Fast Explorer, SpiritPyre Extension Pack, SOCKShell, etc.).

I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.
PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 07:08:34 AM »

Tnx. Nighted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.037s | Server load: 0.01 ]