topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 33% discount on the purchase of SUPERAntiSpyware Professional  (Read 9258 times)

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Follow this link

Super Anti-Spyware

33% discount on the purchase of SUPERAntiSpyware Professional

Reg:$29.95
ONLY $19.95

I haven't used it but i hear good things about it. :-\

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 33% discount on the purchase of SUPERAntiSpyware Professional
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 05:21 AM »
It could be the best ever (it has super in the title, ok cheap shot), but in my opinion you don't need to pay for good antispyware software. You get spywaredoctor free for a year with google pack, there's also windows defender.

My setup is immunizing the pc using the immunize features of  Spybot Search and Destroy and Spywareblaster once a month, running browsers with lower priviledges using setsafer [read more on my blog or on donationcoder] and doing a scan occasionaly using Spybot. You can run Threatfire if you like for 0 day attacks. Of course I use a virusscanner too. So that's only 2 programs running, both Threatfire and avira antivir are light on resources. Since I adopted this methodology I have not has anything other than tracking cookies without any performance penalty associated with running a realtime spyware scanner.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 05:25 AM by justice »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 06:25 AM »
Threatfire sounds interesting justice - is that free or paid version?
I see paid version has "AntiVirus engine with signature updates"
http://www.threatfire.com/download/ (with free/paid comparison)

also curious :):
are you using the free version of antivir? - reason i ask is..
as far as i know the unpaid doesnt check incoming mail?
Tom

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 07:00 AM »
I'm using the free version of Treatfire,  the Antivirus used is Pc Tools anti virus and not really worth it, says Pc Mag (not that i trust them now, but that's how i found out about it). The free version updates silently too. I don't notice it running, and they're fixing one application incompatibility I reported for the next release.

PC Tools' ThreatFire 3 blocks malware (including zero-day threats) by analyzing program behavior, and it does a better job than many signature-based products. Add its free protection to your security arsenal, but don't pay extra for the less-effective scan-and-clean Pro edition.(http://www.pcmag.com...4%2C2191333%2C00.asp)

I have actively settled on Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium ( I got one copy free by using Trial Pay on some photopaper for my inkjet for £2.50 - and bought another copy for the other pc) because it comes out very well on tests, I liked it footprint and lack of performance impact and felt dirty setting a local policy to block the popup from appearing. :) I'm completely satisfied by it: not had any false positives and you can enable/disable set what things to scan for - from archives to diallers to jokes, on read/write or just read etc).

I just use gmail for my email needs and all spam / viruses get moved out of my inbox (it now also scans mail on the gmail server) - but I suspect either AntiVir or threatfire would notice if something slipped past? Didn't realize the free version didn't scan mail though, good I upgraded, it's only $20 - or use trialpay.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 07:04 AM by justice »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 08:12 AM »
thanks justice

just seen your thread about it
ThreatFire - aka Cyberhawk - free behavioural blocking

yes Avira antivir does seem like very good value and gets very good test results what I've seen,
used to use the free one a few years ago..
Tom

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 02:38 PM »
Apparently, Super AntiSpyware excels at removing existing infections, that's what it's said in various security forums around. It has a free version, so you can add it to your arsenal. I wouldn't say it's exactly the best of the pack, though, more the opposite, but there's some formidable competition in this area.