topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: If you build a new PC, make sure you get 2 HDs: One fast and one big  (Read 23017 times)

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
Re: If you build a new PC, make sure you get 2 HDs: One fast and one big
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 08:16 AM »
Yeah, knew about alt+numpad and charmap, just thought there might be a handier way - thanks nonetheless :)

And more about how important it is to keep your harddrives fanned: I've had a an IBM deskdeathstar survive 4+ years when everybody else's were dropping dead. And when I chose a wrong computer case for a fileserver, causing ambient heat of ~40°C, it took only a few months before a Western-Digital drive dropped dead...

Oh, I got that small amount of money btw, and ordered an additional 73gig raptor... but http://post.dk messed up, and it went on a detour to Copenhagen, so it didn't arrive at Taulov before today, which means it won't hit Aarhus until tonight or tomorrow - meaning I don't get it before monday :'(

Ah, that sucks. I've had some bad experience with ordering online and the postal service as well when I once purchased a replacement part directly from Creative Labs in the UK. I tracked the shipment and could see that it was at the last stop before arriving where I lived, but suddenly they send it out of the country and to some random city in the Netherlands http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/9153/ohmygodrevampbydemotekv0.gif
If you build a new PC, make sure you get 2 HDs: One fast and one big

By the way, I do use an easier way to enter special chars most of the time.. I just add my most frequently used ones to Direct Access, so that I can just type stuff like \\o to get, in this case, a ° :)
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 09:04 AM »
Ah, sounds smart. I don't use special chars often though, so I guess I'll continue to rely on CharMap :)

PS: the Danish postal service is usually pretty reliable, but errors do happen. First time I've had a package delivery glitch like that... should've just fetched it manually, I live in the same city as I ordered from, but total roundtrip time with bus is a bit more than an hour...
- carpe noctem

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 08:26 PM »
Best external HD enclosure I've seen in ages...sexy and smart!

It might not have an e-sata port, but more than makes up for that in style, features, and overall possible storage capacity. Vantec makes a very solid product. I have 2 EZ-Swap cages and bays and the build quality is outstanding. I'll be grabbing one of these for only 70 bucks.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2007, 05:51 AM »
Best external HD enclosure I've seen in ages...sexy and smart!

It might not have an e-sata port, but more than makes up for that in style, features, and overall possible storage capacity. Vantec makes a very solid product. I have 2 EZ-Swap cages and bays and the build quality is outstanding. I'll be grabbing one of these for only 70 bucks.
They look good, but I'd be going for FireWire over USB2 - even though FireWire is only 400mbit/s where USB2 is 480mbit/s, firewire is better at dedicating the speed to a single device than USB is.

And if the goal was having the storage external, rather than being able to carry the drive over to all your friends, I'd definitely go for eSATA for speed.
- carpe noctem