ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Rumor: Windows Apps Running Native on Your Mac

(1/3) > >>

Darwin:
Courtesy of the WIRED blog via Lifehack.

Rumor: Windows Apps Running Native on Your Mac

My Lord! If this rumour turns out to be true, the next couple of years could be REALLY interesting (from an battle of the OS superpowers perspective...).

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/12/rumor-leopard-i.html

Ralf Maximus:
Well now, that *is* interesting.

All sorts of ramifications.  For instance, what would happen to the Mac Office division at Microsoft? 

cranioscopical:
For instance, what would happen to the Mac Office division at Microsoft?
-Ralf Maximus (December 03, 2007, 07:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guess they'd both be out of a job!

f0dder:
Look, all they have found is signs of PE loading, which really is no big deal. For this to be useful for running windows applications on OS X, you'd need an API translation layer as well, which is a huge project.

Not saying it's not interesting, just that it's not as big a deal as some people seem to think.

justice:
So are these Leopard loaders a sign that Apple is working on a way to run Windows apps within OS X? Possibly, though if they ran natively, without proper sandboxing, OS X could end up vulnerable to Windows viruses and malware, something Apple obviously wants to avoid.
--- End quote ---
Introduced in Leopard however is exactly such a sandboxing technology used for certain processes. That said the news is not even a rumor really.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version