ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Noah is almost fantastic, but what is it?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Armando:
Yes, we want portable-compatible-accessible-indestructible metadata!!!!!  >:(  We want it at the OS level, we want it to be easily searchable and useable, and we want it now!

(Unfortunately, maybe, tags in filenames is still the best option I came up with. It does work pretty well : portable, fairly compatible, very accessible and almost indestructible. It's even useable *everywhere*, in any software or database : from files to emails, outlook tasks and events, farr aliases.... you name it -- the only requirement is : enough characters. It's not that sexy though, a bit abstract for most people's taste.)

DBC:
I would like to tell you a lot about this new program I've downloaded today, but my English vocabulary is very tiny, especially when it comes to describing such a 'new' kind of program. Noah is a PIM and an email client and a email client's manager and a Internet browser and a bookmark manager and a RSS reader and a organizer and.. - so I don't really know what to call it - I mean, Noah is almost fantastic, but what is it?
-Curt (December 03, 2007, 09:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

This sounds on the face of it rather like another program, Omea Pro, that eventually became freeware back in december 2006: http://www.jetbrains.com/omea/

"Omea Pro 2.2 replaces tools like your Email Organizer, Desktop Search Utility, RSS Reader, Personal Information Manager, Newsgroup Reader, Task Manager, Contact Manager, Bookmark Manager, and Instant Message History Manager. It can also read your Files in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and view your Pictures, in one Integrated Information Environment."

DBC

Perry Mowbray:
I am very impressed with this program, and considering it merely is version 1.0 I believe Noah has great potential!
-Curt (December 03, 2007, 09:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Are you still playing with this Curt... and what are your impressions?

urlwolf:
This app appears to start down that road
--- End quote ---

But this should be done at the OS, not application level. Metadata is going to be useless in Noah when all your other applications know nothing about Noah's way of doing things. Metadata is my hobbyhorse. I've long campaigned for Opera to unify its data stores; currently we have page history, bookmarks, mail, RSS, IRC chat all in their own little fiefdoms. I wanted all this to be stored together with rich metadata, and the browser to be broken down into a data miner, in much the same way Noah is structured. But really that just pushes the problem one step further, because then that data is inaccesible to my file manager, my global search interface, and any other software that could take advantage of it.
-nontroppo (December 05, 2007, 03:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

nontroppo, can you post the thread in the opera forums here?
I'd like to give it my support.

Curt:
Are you still playing with this Curt... and what are your impressions?-Perry Mowbray (December 12, 2007, 05:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am not playing at all.... My one and only project needs nothing more than a reminder and an authoring tool like Liquid Story Binder or (merely) IMBT PageFour - so I removed Noah, it was of no use to me, or I didn't understand how to take advantage of it.

But I was still impressed with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version