topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Microsoft's Turn-off mode in IE8 not enough, says Opera.  (Read 23916 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft's Turn-off mode in IE8 not enough, says Opera.
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 01:47 PM »
(Eudora is an example of an excellent software product (from Qualcomm) that basically closed up development because of the bundling of the mediocre Outlook Express.)
-Steven Avery (March 15, 2009, 09:38 AM)

Eudora closed up because they didn't take the right approach to marketing their software. It's as simple as that. They didn't know how to compete, and not just compete with Outlook Express. They didn't know how to compete at all. That isn't Microsoft's fault...and it isn't Outlook Express' fault.

Eudora was so bad at marketing that they couldn't sell a thirsty man in a desert a glass of water. That was their problem...not OE. And that is the problem with most companies that complain about Microsoft bundling apps with their OS.

Seems to me that there are other email applications that managed to be much more successful than Eudora, despite not being included with Windows or the fact that Windows came bundled with Outlook Express. Incredimail seems to have found their way onto many more PC's than Eudora. I wonder how they did that when Windows already has Outlook Express.  :tellme:

And I don't think that Outlook Express was the application that ultimately put the nail in the coffin for Eudora. I believe Thunderbird was.

Most of the apps that are included with Windows are starter apps, meant to be replaced. They are not the most feature loaded, fully functional applications that exist. They are very basic and leave plenty of room for developers to write better stuff with more features that users will want to use to replace the basic starter set of applications that Microsoft has provided.

I never once heard Adobe cry because Windows comes with Paint. Or Microsoft ever complain that they couldn't sell copies of Word because they made the mistake of putting Wordpad in Windows, so Eudora claiming they couldn't compete because Windows comes with crappy OE is just plain bull.

I don't recall iTunes being a Microsoft product, but it sure seems to come preinstalled on most brand new Windows based computers. I wonder how it got there. It didn't get there by Microsoft putting it there, that's for sure.

I never once saw a pc that included Eudora, Opera, or a trial version of software from any of the loudest complainers as part of an OEM bundle. And I never hear any of those that did approach the OEM's and get their stuff preinstalled ever complain about any kind of "anti-trust" crap (except Google, who made a deal with Dell to get their desktop search preinstalled, instead of their browser, yet want to complain about IE).

Just be happy that they are only starter apps and Microsoft never went all out and bundled all the software they make into a single product. Although I think if Windows Ultimate came with Office, Visual Studio, and every last one of their other applications & games at a very reasonable price, it would be one heck of a killer package definitely worth upgrading to.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 02:20 PM »
As some of you are alluding to there is something missing in the bigger discussion. The problem is how Microsoft is or at least used to go about doing business, not what it was actually bundling. I fully agree with Josh that bundling (setting aside bloat for the moment) is convenient and for most non-techy users even a life saver. And of course Apple has done just as badly not only in terms of its own browser but iTunes and such too.The issue is how MS was trying to put down others with misinformation and other business tactics.

As far as security goes if a software has two 0-day exploits compared to another having 20 doesn't make the one with less good, it just makes it better. Not a earth shattering difference.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 02:26 PM »
By the way since 9.60 (I hope its not just me or I didn't miss a setting but it certainly didn't use to happen before) on my machine Opera makes itself the default browser when upgrading .
<sarcasm>That's very nice of them</sarcasm>

Sorry for a second post in a row.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2009, 03:14 PM »
By the way since 9.60 (I hope its not just me or I didn't miss a setting but it certainly didn't use to happen before) on my machine Opera makes itself the default browser when upgrading .
<sarcasm>That's very nice of them</sarcasm>

There's an option during the installation phase to control that, and it's activated by default. I think it was included in 9.64, but you never know.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2009, 03:54 PM »
It's always asked me if I want to make it the default; well offered me a checkbox anyway.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 08:40 AM »
Why would Opera need Microsoft's "advertising?" Opera is free, multi-platform, and everyone knows it's out there. It dominates almost 2% of the market!! (me included)

;D

Tiff Raw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2009, 08:00 AM »
First can I say that I'm not computer literate, I just use a PC . . haven't got a clue what goes on under the bonnet, this is just a simple observation. Don't know if anybody else has had the same problem as me? Recently downloaded IE8, but then uninstalled when I read that there were security issues, and reverted back to IE7 as the blurb said . . . only to find I'd lost the ability to lay down my cursor in any relevant box on screen. Couldn't enter script anywhere, but the mouse still worked as far as other tasks were concerned. The cure? I re-installed IE8 and all OK again, as this text proves. Not a happy bunny though, as I found IE7 easier to use than IE8.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2009, 02:21 PM »
welcome Tiff  :up:

yes this is a real fear of mine whenever i upgrade something -- that i won't like the upgrade and that going back will cause more harm.  luckily what usually happens is after a few days of being mad at whatever they changed that i don't like, i get used to it and forget :)