topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: making bookmarks pointing to your disc files  (Read 2593 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
making bookmarks pointing to your disc files
« on: March 30, 2009, 08:45 AM »
Hi Folks,

This may be a simple, trivial question.

Some programs give you this format in the web browser, pointing to your disk file.
Belarc ends up giving you an entry like this (and you can change the target folder in config).

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Belarc/Advisor/System/tmp/(Precision380).html

Which can then be immediately bookmarked for future local reference.  What if you have a folder with a bunch of files and you want to 'convert' them to this format.  You could get the path to the clipboard, and then add "file:///" to the front but that would be a bit cumbersome.  Or, conceivably, you could have your file manager like Total Commander try to open all the .jpg and .gif and such in the browser, temporarily, rather than IrfanView, so they could be bookmarked from there.  And maybe Total Commander or Dopus or this and that have a feature or plug-in to accomplish this.

What method do you find the best to bookmark multiple disc files?

I just started using Jing to make simple pics quickly accessible here or on other web forums or to friends, the pic can also be Linkman-bookmarked right away and I am quite satisfied with that for new captures.  (99% of the time I simply want to specify the window-size and have the ability to add my own text and choose the file type.)

How about disc files in general ?
What method is best for bookmarking for easy bookmark-browser access ?

(e.g. Once bookmarked, you have the keywords to find, then Firefox can open up an extension or Irfanview or whatever to view the .jpg and .gif and .bmp.  Html is of course natural. And more.)

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:50 AM by Steven Avery »