ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Any old Amiga users among us?

<< < (6/13) > >>

app103:
I found this video about 2 months ago and posted it to my blog. The embedding seems not to work properly for a lot of people so I'll just give you a link to it here and repeat what I said to introduce it:

The 'New' Amiga (1988)

Originally broadcast in 1988, this 28 minute Computer Chronicles video takes a look at what was then, the brand new Amiga, and the amazing things it could do.

Considering one could own one of these for less than $1000, it made affordable to small businesses and home users, the kinds of things that once were only available to large businesses with tons of cash.

Compared to the capabilities and cost of a PC with MS-DOS 4 or Windows 386/2.1 ($5,000) or a Mac with OS2 ($4,869), buying an Amiga made a lot of sense.

This time warp brought to you by archive.org. High resolution copies of this Creative Commons licensed video are available for download.

--- End quote ---

I wasn't into computers when the Amiga was at its height, unfortunately. I wish I could have had a chance to have used one of these. I feel a bit deprived.

I kind of look at all Amigas, including the newer ยต-A1, sort of like how a city child looks at a pony, wishing they could have one as a pet, running loose in their house.  :-*

I think part of my fondness for them is based on thoughts of what could have been and what computing life would be like now, if they had become the top dog instead of Microsoft. Just imagine how Win95 could have been if Amiga had created & released it. It probably would only have needed 2MB of RAM.  :D

cranioscopical:
Thanks for the post.  A happy journey into nostalgia  :)

Ralf Maximus:
For all its flaws, AmigaDOS was *amazing*.  Quite literally 10 years ahead of its time, and even the first-gen version that shipped with the original machine was stable and quick.  Since service packs were shipped on floppy disks in the mail, I don't think we even applied any for the first year or so it was out.

It had everything we take for granted in modern operating systems: pre-emptive multitasking, integrated memory management, windowed GUI, command-line, long file names, daemons,  hardware graphics support, and more.  Yet it was developed on a shoestring and under intense deadline pressure and shipped with only a few minor defects. 

It's the equivalent of building a jet aircraft in 1935 and having it fly & land perfectly the first time.  THEN building a million of them and handing them over to novice pilots and none of them crashing.  Simply amazing.

cranioscopical:
Ralf:  THEN building a million of them and handing them over to novice pilots and none of them crashing.
--- End quote ---

I was a huge fan of the Amiga, Ralf, but I'm not sure about the never crashing part of your analogy.

I don't want to see one of these in the Learjet  ;)

Spoiler

Edit:  messed things up (again).

zridling:
Thanks for the link and video, app, and how'd you get that error message copied, cranio?! Got to love the sense of humor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version