ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Any old Amiga users among us?

<< < (11/13) > >>

zridling:
Heck, I didn't even see this ars technica series on the history of the Amiga, up to Part 5 now!

Ralf Maximus:
Great series, and reignites my frustration with Commodore back then.  They really did have a superior product and just failed to capitalize on it.

Memory being a funny thing, I'm certain the article is more accurate than my recollections about crashes & instability:

Because the OS lacked memory protection, a fatal error in the OS or even in an application could lock up the system completely, forcing a reboot.  [...]  As a result, the Amiga gained a reputation for instability that would stay with the machine for many years to come.

--- End quote ---

Ouch.

Perry Mowbray:
Memory being a funny thing, I'm certain the article is more accurate than my recollections about crashes & instability:

Because the OS lacked memory protection, a fatal error in the OS or even in an application could lock up the system completely, forcing a reboot.  [...]  As a result, the Amiga gained a reputation for instability that would stay with the machine for many years to come.

--- End quote ---

Ouch.
-Ralf Maximus (December 11, 2007, 06:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, unless my memory has failed too, I seem to remember that the crashes followed poorly written software, like it does on Windows. Endeavoring to keep your system stocked with well written software brought its own rewards. But the old Guru Meditation was as sudden as it was quick when things did go wrong.

Ralf Maximus:
That makes a lot of sense.  Being a Commodore reseller, I spent most of my time in the officially sanctioned software packages -- I assume the ones with higher build quality.  Plus, the demos never crashed. :-)

kartal:
I am an oldie as well.

Would you please list any software you use on your Amigas or on Uae nowadays?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version