topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: how come my posts were removed by wordzilla  (Read 12135 times)

rshortie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
how come my posts were removed by wordzilla
« on: December 01, 2007, 11:20 AM »
I posted 2 really good posts one about the cleaner free, its free software that searches for trojans was able to find and correct trojans no other software could.
Other find was Glary Utilities the free version had about 30 free utilities that were all meaningful,found it on a PC world top 5 download, tried it never used anything like it

The first post....other people thought I was a spammer, or working for the company, as the cleaner does sell a professional version, I wouldnt buy it

The second post got a negative  remark to, I think people think I work for the company, as the Glary Utilities sells a professional version, hell the free version...is so well packed the only difference between free and not free, is automation ,,hey stick with free and do it yoursell, I dont see the big deal with pushing a button rather than spending 40 dollars to having it done for you at a schedualed time.

Hey, I own limeware Pro, avast, Fsecure,ad aware free threatfire always checking out free offer day, checking out tech web site offer, and found this site. If I do find software, usually at discount or because I did beta test, studying A+ Certification Comptia computer Repair, find lots with limeware but occasional pick up virus.  Hey do I sound like a spammer, Or someone selling something .....it seemes no one believes me.... what am I doing wrong, tell me and I will correct it...sincerely  asking for help   rshortie

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: how come my posts were removed by wordzilla
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 02:49 PM »
Unfortunately, your profile fits that of a spammer.  I.E. on your very first post you talked up a product or service, which is (usually) very suspicious.  Not saying you *are* a spammer, just pointing out the appearance to somebody who doesn't know you.

Generally speaking, it's safer to establish yourself on a forum by posting and replying for awhile before posting a positive review of anything.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 03:05 PM »
your posts were confusing because after that one that kind of looked like spam you made one post with nothing in it except a blank minireview template form.  that wasn't spam but it wasn't a realy post either, then you made another post and it had some nonsensical stuff like void();javascript at the end of it.. something def seemed wrong.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 11:14 PM »
re-posting: Netiquette website

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/

originally posted by mouser.. :)

Michel Merlin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 06:15 AM »
(Sat 1 Dec 2007 18:20:37 GMT)
how come my posts were removed by wordzilla
(Sat 1 Dec 2007 21:49:14 GMT)
Generally speaking, it's safer to establish yourself on a forum by posting and replying for awhile before posting a positive review of anything.
I was not sure about DonationCoder, that I knew only as a site that regularly spams me. Today I visited to see this clearer. The 1st thing I saw is "Donations", i.e. DC asking money before providing anything. The 2nd is this thread where DC is taking people a priori as spammers - IOW taking others for wrongdoers, sometimes a stamp of real wrongdoers. Preventing others from speaking instead of politely replying is another stamp of wrongdoers - which may cause this post to be removed as well.

So my visiting the DC site so far only tends to confirm the unfortunate impression DC mails have been building for a while. I will come again though, as a 1st impression is not enough; I will see later.

Versailles, Fri 12 Sep 2008 13:15:40 +0200

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 06:50 AM »
Well, the first thing you see *is* donations. . . I mean, it's the first word in the URL.  So it really should come as no surprise that some emphasis is put on donations. Although it is altogether possible to be a part of the community and user of its software without ever doing something silly like parting with 5 bucks.

Now as for this thread taking "people" as a priori as spammers, you should keep in mind that that was one person with very suspect posts.  Compare that to all of the people who are here and who have come and gone who have not been taken a priori for spammers.  So to say that we take "people" a priori for spammers, well. . . that's assigning an awful lot of weight to a single person whose posts you didn't see.  That said, they weren't outright banned and posted in a few threads after.

Being a software forum makes us targeted with a lot of crap, whether it be scams or malware or profiteering--and the spam patrol does their best to keep on top of it.  Perhaps there was a single instance in which they got a "false positive".  Nobody is perfect. But it wouldn't be fair to say the policy here is one of strict penalty and supression of speech.  I doubt you'll find your post deleted.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 07:08 AM »
The 1st thing I saw is "Donations", i.e. DC asking money before providing anything.

Can you show me where the site/forum says any such thing. All of the software at donationcoder.com is absolutely free to use whether you make a donation or not, and people post to the forum all the time without making any financial contribution.

If you read the instructions about donating you will see that whatever you donate goes into your account and you can donate it, in the form of Donation Credits, to any member of the site you like. The cost of running the site is only offset if you choose to donate to the general site funds.

The fact is that the many people who post applications here (and Mouser in particular who set up the site and has made available the large proportion of applications freely available on this site) do so freely because they like to write applications, help people and contribute to the community. To me (this is not policy just my opinion) it seems only polite to acknowledge people's efforts in a small way - and one way that can make a difference is a small donation to the software author or the website.

A lot of people like life to be completely free - but things are only ever free because someone else picks up the tab. If everyone shares the tab occasionally, in however small a way, it makes life pleasant for everyone.

Since I have been posting on this site quite a few people have given donations to me. They usually range from 50 cents to a couple of dollars, so I ain't going to get rich quick, but there is a nice glow when you feel that someone values your contribution to a thread or in some other way.

By the way if you think donationcoder.com is spamming you with newsletters why not go to your profile and stop them. They aren't spam they are part of the benefits of membership and only get sent out once a month.

On the original topic in this thread ...

Rshortie , it is a sad fact of life that if it looks like spam, tastes like spam and smells like spam then 99.9% of the time it is spam. As a moderator I probably get a number of threads reported as spam every day. Almost all of them are spam. Inevitably mistakes are made and if this was one I, as one of the moderators here, hold my hands up and apologise. We try hard to get it right but we are fallible.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:16 AM by Carol Haynes »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 08:57 AM »
I was not sure about DonationCoder, that I knew only as a site that regularly spams me.
If you get the DC newsletter, it's because you signed up for it. It's not spam, and you can easily opt-out of it - the newsletters have information on how to do that in their footer. Or you can go to the "My Profile" link, Notifications and Email section, and uncheck Receive our newsletter, forum announcements and important notifications by email.. So definitely not spam.

The 2nd is this thread where DC is taking people a priori as spammers - IOW taking others for wrongdoers, sometimes a stamp of real wrongdoers. Preventing others from speaking instead of politely replying is another stamp of wrongdoers - which may cause this post to be removed as well.
Unfortunately, forums these days are targetted with spam. And a lot of it. It's usually pretty easy to tell, also the recent "two-users-two-posts" kind of spam... when a new user without prior posts makes a new post that sounds suspicious, often all it takes is googling for parts of the message to confirm the suspicion of a spam post.

It's unfortunate if a legitimate post was removed, but nobody's perfect and we're only humans.
- carpe noctem

Michel Merlin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Found back why I appreciated DC (Daave, Process Tamer, Key License policy)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 09:05 AM »
Thanks for the quick, sensible and extensive replies. This prompted me to ask myself why I knew DC, and remember and find back good sides I had appreciated:

So please forgive my suspecting message above (somewhat explainable given what we see daily in the software market...)

Versailles, Fri 12 Sep 2008 16:05:35 +0200

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 09:51 AM »
Thanks for the quick, sensible and extensive replies
well, I'll say welcome to dc then Michel :)
Tom