ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Leopard is the New Vista, and It's Pissing Me Off

(1/4) > >>

zridling:
Oliver Rist brings us the latest crank on Leopard not being as rock-solid as Tiger. Been there, done that, although the comparison brings out some good things about Vista you may have overlooked. Leopard is the new Vista. All the way. And here are five examples.

* Vista Similarity 1: Wait for a Service Pack — Perpetually

* Vista Similarity 2: Needless Graphics Glitz

* Vista Similarity 3: Pointless User Interface "Fixes"

* Vista Similarity 4: Nuked Networking

* Vista Similarity 5: Bundled Apps as New Features That Suck

Okay, I probably had a little too much coffee this morning, but Leopard really is just one big popped balloon of disappointment. Let's get it straight, however: I'm not any more against Leopard than I am against Vista. Both of them got too much wrong. I'll close with a little tidbit for that pudgy PC guy in the Apple commercials who's so sad because his users are "downgrading" to XP. Well, maybe they are — I know I did. But I'm writing this on an XP workstation right now because my Mac is busy reinstalling Tiger. Leopard can keep its glitzy crash-prone spots. I'll stick with the OS that really "just works" — for now.

zridling:
Are big operating systems reaching exponential levels of complexity? I'm beginning to wonder.

justice:
Any article that starts the way that one (2 sentences) does is not journalism, and that on pcmag.com. Between that and the sidebar enty "social networking stinks", they must be needing some extra sales at the moment but mudthrowing like that. No thanks Oliver Ristard

MrCrispy:
Microsoft has great technology, bad UI and user experience, and tries to be everything to everyone, as a result they end up being beige.

Apple has so-so technology, absolutely fantastic user focused design and marketing, and only caters to those who buy into the the Mac cult and Steve Jobs RDF, and thus they have 'teh shiny'.

Most people don't like beige. They might buy beige because they can't afford shiny aluminum. A lot of them realise that the beige can easily be changed in the control panel. And these days the beige comes with translucent borders. So what's better is all a bit gray!

Have I abused the color metaphor enough :)

zridling:
Like Windows' users, when Apple fails its flock, they revolt. Many of them are tired of being early adopters, feeling shortchanged lately.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version