ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Shut Up About Vista, Already

<< < (4/9) > >>

Curt:
Yes, I know what you mean, they always take one step forward and two steps backward. Aero is great, of course, -and in a few years from now it may be illegal to own a computer without DRM - but at the same time they both stink anyway. I don't think we are heading for better times. But in the meanwhile it may improve the quality of our daily life if we manage to look at the bright side of life... Or are you by accident wearing your little daughter's shoes today? Sorry, Carol, I didn't mean to offend or hurt you. But in Denmark it has been raining all day long - so I guess it must have been raining on the western side of the channel as well.

Edited for grammar.

Carol Haynes:
Yep - it's been pouring (lashing is a better word) rain and hale all day with gale force winds - actually I like bad weather makes me feel all cosy curled up by my fire! I'd better go and check my sailing dinghy is OK though - last time we had gales it broke its trolly and rattled across the concrete!

Personally I do feel quite positive - I think DRM will disappear in the next few years (now who's an optimist?). The record companies want to sell their music via download serices (there are already a number of mainstream non-DRM services and even ultra conservative classical music lables such as EMI and DG have launched non-DRM services for downloading MP3 music - in fact DG only sell MP3s encoded at 320 bits because they only want near CD quality releases). The backlash from purchasers against companies who maintain DRM only downloads will drive them to rethink (IMHO) and the same will go for video content. Ultimately DRM doesn't work and the media industry is beginning to recognise that and act.

The next step will be users persuading MS and other similar companies that schemes such as Genuine Advantage simply alienate customers (MS seem to be doing a good job of this already). MS are doing a pretty good job of this already with Vista activation restrictions - sooner or later they will get wise when market share starts to suffer.

Anyway back to the deluge (and House series 3 which I just got on DVD!)

Darwin:
Spectacular snow storm here - it's REALLY beautiful... We're getting used to snow again on mid-Vancouver Island after it being pretty much completely absent for years (though this is the second year in a row that November has ended with a MAJOR dumping of the stuff - exciting, cars in ditches, people without power, etc. etc.).

cranioscopical:
We're getting used to snow again on mid-Vancouver Island.
-Darwin (December 01, 2007, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
I recall a winter visit to Vancouver some years back. A snowfall created amazing confusion.
Took this from my window yesterday evening, in southern Ontario. Might have to plough the place before too long  :'(
Spoiler

I'm not saying anything about you-know-which O/S, just to nod at the topic.

Darwin:
I don't know, Chris, I thought that was a lovely vista!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version