ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Shut Up About Vista, Already

<< < (3/9) > >>

cmpm:
Quite correct Carol Haynes, having the optimal hardware has always been an issue with any operating system. For it to perform to one's specific needs.

Curt:
To my poor understanding Vista is totally fantastic. Only problem is, it was made for tomorrow's computers. So if I try to install it on my old shitty snailhardware Vista will seem to fail. But it is not Vista failing, it is my hardware that is failing. Vista is at least 5 years or so ahead of its' time. And in five years from now, Vista wil have been improved so much that we all will say it is The Best, and the successor will stink...

Carol Haynes:
But Curt the question everyone is asking is "Why do we have to have hardware fives years ahead of its time to run an Operating System?"

OK if you want to do video editing or professional image editing or publishing or a host of other applications you want software that can utilise every ounce of hardware you have. Operating systems are supposed to provide an envirnoment that allows applications to run to the best of their ability - not hog all the resources to themselves and make everything else struggle!

Curt:
... "Why do we have to have hardware fives years ahead of its time to run an Operating System?" ...-Carol Haynes (December 01, 2007, 09:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

You are of course right, Carol. But then again: The dream about "today's" OS, now being Vista, was dreamed in the previous century - so MAYBE Bill Gates over-estimated the pace in which hardware would keep improving?

Carol Haynes:
Nah - its like all versions of Windows - each one has consumed more power and hardware than the last to basically do the same functions.

The problem is the interminable layers of crap that get placed on top of each version from generation to generation:

* partly for backwards compatability,
* partly as 'features' no one with half a brain actually wants or needs built into the OS (like UAC, Aero and DRM), and
* partly because they keep adding ever more demanding apps on top of the OS and then trying to convince the powers that be that they are integral functions of the OS (like Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player) but are actually anticompetitive attempts to stuff rival products.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version