ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Shut Up About Vista, Already

<< < (2/9) > >>

zridling:
[Ralf]: Look... I know Vista's not one of the signs of the Apocalypse.  Microsoft will get its act together and fix things and by this time next year workstations will be faster so we won't notice what a bloated sweaty pig Vista is, and eventually all the teeth gnashing will die down.... Just as it did with XP.... But dammit, *I* will be the one to decide when I am satisfied, and I reserve the right to cast disdain on products that do not meet my expectations.  Ignoring the problem, drinking the Kool Aid, and giggling over how pretty Vista is will not make things better.

The linked author is Ed Bott, who emailed me about my comments regarding his post, Five secrets to faster Vista starts. Essentially, you're asked to disable significant parts of your machine or OS in order to make Vista run faster. That's not an acceptable solution. I've installed Vista on a variety of machines and the fastest boot time I've achieved is 1m 11s, after a fresh install and no AV software.

Like Ralf, if I want to bitch about something I will until my gills bleed. But I think we're going to have to wait until Windows 7 to get over Vista. Look how slowly Microsoft has worked on SP3 for XP... why? Simply put, after five years in development and raised expectations, the one word that defines Vista for me is disappointing.

cmpm:
The only real advantage of Vista I could find documented was it's better use of memory. Which means it uses all the memory(supposedly) so as to take advantage of it, rather then having it set there doing nothing.

This could account for some slow booting up.

And it's suggested to have at least 2 gigs of mem if not 6 or 8.
So more money.
Personally I wouldn't try to upgrade what I have but just get a Vista system new. If I wanted it.
Much more money!..lol...

My xp takes a while to boot fully too, with all that I have starting with it.

Personally I can do with xp what I want to do computer wise.

Heck I don't use most of it's potential anyway.

As far as that article is concerned, yes xp sucked when it first came out until service pack 2. imho Though it was better then 98, but win2000 is still a good system.

I'm in no hurry to get the latest and greatest. I prefer the proven and reliable.

Carol Haynes:
And it's suggested to have at least 2 gigs of mem if not 6 or 8.
--- End quote ---

6 or 8 only if you are using the 64 bit version - the 32bit version is still capped at 4Gb (less mapped memory from video cards etc. - so effectively about 3 and a bit Gb cap)

Lashiec:
I think Ryan's criticism is more directed to tech journalism and blogging, who, frankly, are getting quite tiresome with the Vista bashing. We know it has problems, we know XP is better, but stop carrying in your frontpage another horror story that happened in Vista Avenue. It's not only Ryan, but other people over the Internet are angry about this, it's as if overnight, tech sites turned into forums visited by angsty teenagers and complete jerks. Of course, they know that this creates traffic, so it would not stop in some time (case in point: the exo.blog, which is getting more coverage in the news that it should).

Besides that, what gets me even angrier is the total ignorance on part of these people. Not only they contradict themselves constantly, but they don't conduct a single bit of research, opting for spreading of misinformation regarding everything. DRM, Vista inflated piece, OS bugs... And writing shitty articles which get everything wrong. Maybe sports journalists are now writing tech news?

Vista is worse than expected? Yes, of course. Does it have problems? Surely. But, for the love of God, stop pestering me every day rehashing the same old stories again and again, proving that you don't have anything valuable to report in your site. Nothing worthful is going to come out of all this, and people will get Vista or XP despite what you say about them. One thing is chronicling your experience with Vista, which is fine, and a different one is beating a dead horse, turning a site into your soapbox only because you're angry with this OS or the other.

Edvard:
OK, this will be my first and last post about Vista, anytime, anywhere.
I sought the opinion of a disinterested 3rd party in the form of a website which would tell me, impartially, how much something sucks.

HowItSucks.com rates products based on recent reviews from other users. The rating system is simple: the longer the red bar, the more it sucks.

--- End quote ---

http://howitsucks.com/

Ok, I type in the obvious...

and get some results...

Point taken. I'll shut up now.
Or maybe I'll go with Home Premium. Apparently it sucks less.

from Weird Daily

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version