topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [bug report] Some bugs I should have reported earlier  (Read 8484 times)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[bug report] Some bugs I should have reported earlier
« on: November 29, 2007, 02:18 PM »
What the subject says. Let's get to it.

1) Cosmetic bugs: In the "Preferences" dialog, "VIEW" -> "View" and "ConfigureToolbar" -> "Configure toolbar"

2) Look what happens with those two searches:

Screenshot - 29_11_2007 , 20_54_20.png[bug report] Some bugs I should have reported earlier

The results lists scrolls to allow you to see all results.

Screenshot - 29_11_2007 , 20_55_10.png[bug report] Some bugs I should have reported earlier

This one does not, despite the high number of results. This seems to be the default behavior.

3) There are some problems launching the various applets in Windows's control panel. "Keyboard" does nothing, and "Speech" gets badly detected, not showing any icon and launching "System Properties" instead of the intended one.

4) "Run" command does not accept switches, like "firefox -safe-mode". It does nothing.

Two suggestions:

1) Could you make the installation routine a bit more configurable? Like giving the option not to install the skins included with the program, unless you intend to remove all the skins from the installation pack in the future.

2) I'd like to have F1 mapped to FARR's helpfile, right now, the key hides the window :huh:

That's all. If something else comes around, I'll make another post in this thread.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [bug report] Some bugs I should have reported earlier
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 03:18 PM »
Lashiec: for query #2, i think there are some settings that needs to be changed to show all the results.. see the screenshots below..

Interface Tab
ws-lashiec-farr-4.png
Display Tab
ws-lashiec-farr-3.png

I'd like to have F1 mapped to FARR's helpfile, right now, the key hides the window
if i'm not mistaken, Function keys launch items from results list..

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 04:48 PM »
Yes, I have all those options activated (it comes like that by default), but as you see that's the outcome of the two searches.

Ooooops! Yes, the function keys launch items, my mistake :-[

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 10:04 AM »
UP!

More bugs. I search for "Firefox" and the program says it founds 25 results. So I add "+sall" to the string, and this is the result:

Screenshot - 06_02_2008 , 17_02_47.png

I don't know, but that number of results does not amount up to 25 ;D

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 02:59 PM »
That actually happens all the time. Isn't it because all links to the same object (and other similar results) count for 1 result but won't be shown in the result list (because of useless redundancy)?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 03:40 PM »
Yeah probably, but only 2 links are showing in there. That does not amount 25 objects, unless FARR is also counting all the items inside the listed folders as results. In that case, with certain searches FARR would be reporting less results than it should... Hmmm, mouser?

I'm also wondering why the first result reports its type as "lnk" and the second as "Acceso directo" if both are shortcuts, so it should read "Acceso directo" in both cases.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 04:27 PM »
Good points. I really don't know!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 10:25 PM »
I don't know, but that number of results does not amount up to 25

maybe the numbers include all the duplicate links. uncheck this option and try again. Options>Interface>"Remove duplicate links to same target application".

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 08:33 AM »
Yes, now it shows the 25 items (the duplicate links are those corresponding to the pictures) :-[. I guess that's because of the "My Pictures" link in the Start Menu.

Even then, it would be nice for FARR to decrease the number of results according to the removed duplicates. At least to prevent more misunderstandings like this ;D

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 10:17 AM »
Lashiec, that's what I meant before : the 25 items not showing was happening because of duplicates suppression. I didn't express myself properly, and that often happens with English.
But, regardless... what's the difference between acceso directo and lnk in your screenshot ?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 10:27 AM »
There's no difference. As I said both are shortcuts, residing in the same directory, and apart from the fact that one of them carries a argument in the path for the executable, both are identical. Those are the default shortcuts installed by Firefox's installation routines, by the way.

But, somehow, one is labeled as "lnk", which is not the type of the file, but its extension, and the other one as "Acceso directo", which, as you may know, is the Spanish translation for "Shortcut".

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 09:25 AM »
Sorry for the double post, but I have to ask it: Is normal that opting for not showing the "Result label extension" makes the "Type" label show the extension instead of the real filetype as reported by Windows, just like it does if you have the aforementioned option set to "Yes"?