ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best password manager?

<< < (16/28) > >>

Renegade:
I have been ITCHING to get back into this thread for a LONG LONG time!

(DISCLAIMER: For anyone that doesn't know, I work for ESTsoft, the company that makes the products I'm talking about here.)

Anyways... ALPASS ONLINE! I think a few people might like it or the general idea at least.

We've FINALLY managed to get the new web site online and that includes ALToolbar being released. (Still tweaks to get done in the site, but whatever -- it's up!)

In any event, I'm getting ahead of myself here...

ALPass Online is basically ALPass inside of ALToolbar. But this time around, you can store all your logins online and access them through ALToolbar from anywhere on any computer. (Windows & IE only)

So, instead of being locked downd to 1 computer with the software on it, or bothering to carry a USB drive/key around, you can simply carry around 1 password in your head to get into your logins & passwords from anywhere. A bit lighter and easier.

I know someone's going to ask about security --- SSL connections for ALToolbar, and all encryption is done client side with a shared secret so that ALToolbar can authenticate users. Basically that means that we don't have your password at any time. The downside is that since you're the only one with the password, if you lose it, all your data is lost forever as well. Encryption is ARIA 256. (Similar to AES 256. It's a block cipher.)

This is just v1.13 right now, and there's more stuff coming into ALToolbar and ALPass Online, but in any event, if you have the time and inclination, let me know what you think of it. If you want, you can post in the ALTools forums or here. I read both. ;)

rjbull:
ALToolbar being released.
[...]

[ text re-ordered ]
So, instead of being locked downd to 1 computer with the software on it,

(Windows & IE only)
-Renegade (January 29, 2008, 11:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

But you're still locked down to one browser.  Come on, support Firefox at least!

Edit:  Afterthought.  Couldn't you make a Firefox extension, like Roboform and EverNote do?

justice:
AlToolbar looks like the perfect alternative to Roboform, if it was only working with firefox too (based on the featurelist). Having it automatically offer to save passwords and fill them in is what makes roboform such a joy to use. What I disliked about Keepass and all other password managers is that you login to a website and then have to type in the login again in the password manager to save it. Also the hassle of having to open the password manager, find the password and then copy/paste it or drag/drop it in the form is really tiresome. Roboform does all that for you and it looks like Altoolbar will too. Actually it looks like AlPass does all this too. :)

lanux128:
rjbull & justice: do pester Renegade to include Firefox support here. :)

• ALToolbar Improves Internet Search, Speed and the Online Experience

justice:
Are these password managers browser specific because of the "autologin" and "autosave" features or could a general pwm be made that works for all apps? Just wondering what the underlying reason is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version