ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best password manager?

<< < (23/28) > >>

J-Mac:

#2 - At some point, a box opened up on the page; it said:  "You're on LastPass.com.  If you haven't already installed the bookmarklet, you need to drag the bookmarklet (link you clicked on) into your 'Links' or 'Favorites' bar, then go to the site you want to Login or FormFill and click the bookmarklet."  Duh#2 -- I could find no Links or Favorites bar in Opera.  :down:

-cyberdiva (March 23, 2009, 07:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't "Duh" before you look. The Personal Bar in Opera is what Firefox calls the Bookmarks Toolbar. Works the same and it holds bookmarklets just fine - has for a few years now.

Jim

cyberdiva:
Don't "Duh" before you look. The Personal Bar in Opera is what Firefox calls the Bookmarks Toolbar. Works the same and it holds bookmarklets just fine - has for a few years now.
-J-Mac (March 24, 2009, 05:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi, Jim.  Thanks for the information.  Just for the record, I did look.  I checked the name of every Opera toolbar, and I couldn't find any that matched the instructions in #2.  Had the instructions in #2 specified the Personal Bar (as the instructions in #3 finally did), I'd have had no problem. 

J-Mac:
Not a problem. In Opera pretty much everything is named a little differently. Always has been. But if you take a good look at each of the toolbars you can see what is there and what you can do with them. The Personal Bar looks identical to Firefox's Bookmark Toolbar, and Opera has had it for much longer actually.

Jim

MilesAhead:
(encrypted document)

Actually, that's not a bad idea.

I'd still use some 'fake-outs' on the list - but saving an encrypted attachment in a GMail account that someone could be given access to in an emergency might be something worth considering.

That would yield three independent levels of security: the GMail account password; the encryption key and methodology used on the attachment; and advance knowledge of the fake-out scheme employed within the password list.

Since I'm a nobody (i.e. "having little power, wealth, or influence") that would be more than enough security for my uninteresting life. :) 8)

--- End quote ---

Is this one of the "fake outs"?  As in you are really a mogul posing as a regular guy?
Just kidding. :)  Somehow I can't get psyched about trusting any kind of password utility that "auto types" or form fills anything important.. such as online banking passwords or whatever.  For trivial stuff, like forum passwords, I use Firefox Secure Login AddOn.  It's a clone of the Opera Wand mechanism.  For anything that has money attached to it I don't go entering it with macros.  So just about any kind of encrypted password list gizmo is good enough.  I was using Password Corral for a long time but I'm trying out KeePass just for grins.

On the online thing, no way Jose!! I don't even keep bookmarks online unless it's my own ftp account.

Paul Keith:
No idea, what's quite going on here since I just skimmed the text but:

I don't use bookmarklets for Opera with Lastpass. I just use Lastpass pocket and then add accounts through the Firefox extension if I want to. You could also probably go to your account page but I find it more convenient that way.

https://lastpass.com/download.php

For stuff where I need to have Opera's wand feature, I just use Opera's wand feature with my lastpass master password as the same password for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version