topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Best password manager?  (Read 123165 times)

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best password manager?
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2009, 06:21 AM »
I have Roboform and Keepass and a variety of vaults, but Lastpass seems really interesting to me as an Opera/Chrome in preference to FF/ie user.

As far as I can see, everything is locally encrypted; all data can be accessed in absence of Lastpass and security procedures look pretty good. I don't know that I'd use it for my TrueCrypt volumes or bank account access, but I do need a system that I actually use more frequently for general stuff.

I look forward to reading more informed comments and criticisms from the experts here.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2009, 06:49 AM »
I use roboform, but I just installed lastpass alongside it and it looks like now by using firefox with roboform I'm populating the password for use with lastpass + chrome. hehe

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2009, 06:55 AM »
I use roboform, but I just installed lastpass alongside it and it looks like now by using firefox with roboform I'm populating the password for use with lastpass + chrome. hehe

This is very tempting  :D

Have you used LastPass on anything apart from FF & Chrome? Works same?

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2009, 07:10 AM »
Chrome, safari, opera don't have plugin support - they're working on a safari plugin now. Chrome's next once google completes the extension api. Opera doesn't have plugin support. All these browsers can already use lastpass through javascript bookmarklet (which seems to work with some random number code? -  obviously not ideal).

FF & IE now have a lastpass plugin - logins get detected (roboform pops up after login but before pageload, lastpass pops up after login after pageload)

Ive only used it with firefox, not yet with IE.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2009, 07:45 PM »
After reading the discussion here about LastPass, I decided to install it so I could use it on Opera, since RoboForm won't work on Opera.  I set up an account and have LastPass installed as a plug-in on Firefox, but I found the process of getting the bookmarklet installed on Opera to be needlessly confusing.  LastPass provided me with not one but three sets of instructions, all different! 

#1 - When I logged into LastPass with Opera and clicked on Bookmarklets, the instruction page first said: "To install, you must drag the above links [i.e., the bookmarklets] to your bookmarks bar."  Duh...there is no bookmarks bar in Opera!  :down:  I tried dragging the bookmarklet link to every possible toolbar, but none of them accepted it. 

#2 - At some point, a box opened up on the page; it said:  "You're on LastPass.com.  If you haven't already installed the bookmarklet, you need to drag the bookmarklet (link you clicked on) into your 'Links' or 'Favorites' bar, then go to the site you want to Login or FormFill and click the bookmarklet."  Duh#2 -- I could find no Links or Favorites bar in Opera.  :down:

#3 - At last, I noticed that further down in the instructions, there was yet a third set, this one supposedly designed just for Opera.  It said: "You must right-click the link and bookmark, then set to Show on Personal Bar which is in Details.  You may also have to check View --> Toolbars --> Personal Bar, if it isn't already checked."   This turned out to be the right set of instructions.  The statements could be more clearly written, but at least they're correct.:up:

I'm writing now mostly to inform anyone else who is trying to get the LastPass bookmarklet(s) installed in Opera that you should ignore the first two sets of instructions and just follow the one meant only for Opera.  The videos, too, are less than helpful when it comes to using the bookmarklets with Opera.

I'm also wondering whether I should uninstall the plug-in for Firefox.  Will LastPass and RoboForm conflict with each other?  I don't need LastPass on Firefox, since I'm quite happy with RoboForm.  In an earlier message, justice seemed to suggest that LastPass would add all the information supplied by RoboForm when I logged into sites, which is why I let the plug-in be installed.  But what happens after that?  And will the information LastPass picks up on Firefox transfer automatically to Opera?  My head is spinning.  :(

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2009, 07:55 PM »
Will LastPass and RoboForm conflict with each other?  I don't need LastPass on Firefox, since I'm quite happy with RoboForm.  In an earlier message, justice seemed to suggest that LastPass would add all the information supplied by RoboForm when I logged into sites, which is why I let the plug-in be installed.  But what happens after that?  And will the information LastPass picks up on Firefox transfer automatically to Opera? 
Nice questions. I look forward to the answers.  ;D

Thanks for the instructions on Opera installation  :up: It will be interesting to hear how well you feel it works in your Opera & FF setup.
I'm still waiting myself to see if anyone has more critical comments and it looks as if you have already saved me a bit of frustration. :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2009, 06:42 AM »
Am I the only person in the world that has a real problem  :'( with storing a password list online, no matter who with? I don't even allow my e-mail client or browser to remember them.
I'm with you. I'd never trust my passwords to an online entity (well, storing an encrypted document that I have complete control of would work).

Actually, that's not a bad idea.

I'd still use some 'fake-outs' on the list - but saving an encrypted attachment in a GMail account that someone could be given access to in an emergency might be something worth considering.

That would yield three independent levels of security: the GMail account password; the encryption key and methodology used on the attachment; and advance knowledge of the fake-out scheme employed within the password list.

Since I'm a nobody (i.e. "having little power, wealth, or influence") that would be more than enough security for my uninteresting life. :) 8)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 06:44 AM by 40hz »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2009, 12:33 PM »
Nice questions. I look forward to the answers.  ;D

Here's a little more feedback: justice was correct, when I add info to RoboForm, I'm asked whether I want to add it as well to LastPass.  And even if I don't use RoboForm, if I supply any login info in Firefox, LastPass asks whether I want to save it in LastPass as well. 

Unfortunately, LastPass doesn't always seem to recognize when a page will accept a login.  I joined a forum via Firefox, and I arranged to have the data saved in LastPass.  Later, I went to the forum via Opera, went to the login page, and clicked on the LastPass bookmarklet.  To my surprise, I was told "We didn't find any matching fields for the site on this page."  Duh.  So I think the jury is still out on whether LastPass will turn out to be useful enough and unbuggy enough for me to keep using it.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2009, 01:00 PM »
When that happens it offers to Force form fill in or something similar. That seems to always work for me so far.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2009, 02:03 PM »
When that happens it offers to Force form fill in or something similar. That seems to always work for me so far.
Oh, OK.  That's good to know.  Thanks.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2009, 05:57 PM »

#2 - At some point, a box opened up on the page; it said:  "You're on LastPass.com.  If you haven't already installed the bookmarklet, you need to drag the bookmarklet (link you clicked on) into your 'Links' or 'Favorites' bar, then go to the site you want to Login or FormFill and click the bookmarklet."  Duh#2 -- I could find no Links or Favorites bar in Opera.  :down:

Don't "Duh" before you look. The Personal Bar in Opera is what Firefox calls the Bookmarks Toolbar. Works the same and it holds bookmarklets just fine - has for a few years now.

Jim

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2009, 09:44 PM »
Don't "Duh" before you look. The Personal Bar in Opera is what Firefox calls the Bookmarks Toolbar. Works the same and it holds bookmarklets just fine - has for a few years now.

Hi, Jim.  Thanks for the information.  Just for the record, I did look.  I checked the name of every Opera toolbar, and I couldn't find any that matched the instructions in #2.  Had the instructions in #2 specified the Personal Bar (as the instructions in #3 finally did), I'd have had no problem. 

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2009, 10:46 PM »
Not a problem. In Opera pretty much everything is named a little differently. Always has been. But if you take a good look at each of the toolbars you can see what is there and what you can do with them. The Personal Bar looks identical to Firefox's Bookmark Toolbar, and Opera has had it for much longer actually.

Jim

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2009, 12:27 AM »
(encrypted document)

Actually, that's not a bad idea.

I'd still use some 'fake-outs' on the list - but saving an encrypted attachment in a GMail account that someone could be given access to in an emergency might be something worth considering.

That would yield three independent levels of security: the GMail account password; the encryption key and methodology used on the attachment; and advance knowledge of the fake-out scheme employed within the password list.

Since I'm a nobody (i.e. "having little power, wealth, or influence") that would be more than enough security for my uninteresting life. :) 8)

Is this one of the "fake outs"?  As in you are really a mogul posing as a regular guy?
Just kidding. :)  Somehow I can't get psyched about trusting any kind of password utility that "auto types" or form fills anything important.. such as online banking passwords or whatever.  For trivial stuff, like forum passwords, I use Firefox Secure Login AddOn.  It's a clone of the Opera Wand mechanism.  For anything that has money attached to it I don't go entering it with macros.  So just about any kind of encrypted password list gizmo is good enough.  I was using Password Corral for a long time but I'm trying out KeePass just for grins.

On the online thing, no way Jose!! I don't even keep bookmarks online unless it's my own ftp account.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2009, 06:57 AM »
No idea, what's quite going on here since I just skimmed the text but:

I don't use bookmarklets for Opera with Lastpass. I just use Lastpass pocket and then add accounts through the Firefox extension if I want to. You could also probably go to your account page but I find it more convenient that way.

https://lastpass.com/download.php

For stuff where I need to have Opera's wand feature, I just use Opera's wand feature with my lastpass master password as the same password for it.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2009, 08:55 AM »
I have been using a shareware TK8 Safe - http://www.tk8.com/safe/ - (discounted recently on BdJ) and updated also recently.  I like it a lot because it can work in a manual and automatic way.  There are functions to sync between computers or with a USB key.  I didn't use any other one so far, so it's difficult for me to compare with other solutions.
.merle1.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2009, 09:24 AM »
Is this one of the "fake outs"?  As in you are really a mogul posing as a regular guy?

I'm actually The Fourth Dragon Emperor and Mystic Chowder Pot Knight of the Sorrowful Countenance in the Knights of the House of the Apostles of Eris: Mock Duck Cabal.

Or at least I used to be until whatever was in that brownie I bought from that cute girl at the Renaissance Faire wore off.

Now I'm in exile until I buy another brownie. (FNORD!) ;D

Is this one of the "fake outs"?

Nope. But these are if you're interested:  https://www.donation....msg125443#msg125443

8)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 09:26 AM by 40hz »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2009, 10:22 AM »
Or at least I used to be until whatever was in that brownie I bought from that cute girl at the Renaissance Faire wore off.

Buying brownies can be tricky. It's advisable to consult the girl guide first.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2009, 12:06 PM »
Not a problem. In Opera pretty much everything is named a little differently. Always has been. But if you take a good look at each of the toolbars you can see what is there and what you can do with them. The Personal Bar looks identical to Firefox's Bookmark Toolbar, and Opera has had it for much longer actually.
Yes, but since I don't use the Bookmarks toolbar in Firefox, I wouldn't know what to look for.  That's why the names are so important.  I'm not faulting Opera for calling it a Personal Bar; I'm faulting LastPass for providing a video and two sets of less-than-useful instructions that failed to use the term "Personal Bar" (only the third set did so).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2009, 01:12 PM »

Buying brownies can be tricky. It's advisable to consult the girl guide first.

-cranioscopical (March 25, 2009, 10:22 AM)

Guess they didn't name it Betty Crocker for nuthin'.  Truth in advertising. :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2009, 01:29 PM »
Oubliette, a freeware password manager by tranglos.

Another vote for Oubliette.  Though its not supported anymore, it does include source, which is a major plus for me, and it's done well.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2009, 11:25 PM »
Keepass 2 beta is piece of s...t at the moment. It is the buggiest application I ever used, at least on my xp 64bit system.

I have Roboform and Keepass and a variety of vaults, but Lastpass seems really interesting to me as an Opera/Chrome in preference to FF/ie user.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2009, 02:09 AM »
Keepass 2 beta is piece of s...t at the moment. It is the buggiest application I ever used, at least on my xp 64bit system.

Latest version is working better than ever here on my XP Pro X86 machine. Previous versions were pretty bad here too. Deleting or even editing an entry would then throw you to a random item in the database. However I only use Keepass as kind of a backup repository of all my password-related items. Using it to actually login to a web site is not simple to do.

Jim

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2009, 06:13 AM »
I'm still on 1.1.

I never have used it that much though. Always intend to and never do. Still have a lot of stuff in Keynote.

wxdjs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2009, 12:09 AM »
it‘s good, and I will try it