ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best password manager?

<< < (18/28) > >>

4wd:
I use Firefox v3/Thunderbird v2, (both portable editions), I use their inbuilt password manager with a master password.

I just copy the Firefox/Thunderbird directories to a Flash drive and use on another computer - no other software required.

IIRC, the password manager in both of these are akin to unix account password management, the setting of the master password basically means you've lost your stored passwords if you forget it - it's also extremely secure.

So why would anyone want/need yet another program they have to remember a password for, (ie. the password manager) ?

f0dder:
IIRC, the password manager in both of these are akin to unix account password management, the setting of the master password basically means you've lost your stored passwords if you forget it - it's also extremely secure.-4wd (February 08, 2008, 03:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

How is that akin to unix account password management? Those don't work with a "master password", each user password is stored separately, usually as the md5sum of {salt,password} where salt is a 12-bit (iirc) random number.

Josh:
4wd: What if you dont use firefox or thunderbird? What if you have other passwords you want to remember? What if you have network passwords for your job, what about combos to a safe? I can do all of this in roboform.

4wd:
IIRC, the password manager in both of these are akin to unix account password management, the setting of the master password basically means you've lost your stored passwords if you forget it - it's also extremely secure.-4wd (February 08, 2008, 03:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

How is that akin to unix account password management? Those don't work with a "master password", each user password is stored separately, usually as the md5sum of {salt,password} where salt is a 12-bit (iirc) random number.
-f0dder (February 08, 2008, 06:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

I did say "akin", ie. similar in that they are very secure due to the encrypted way in which password info is stored, very hard to bruteforce.  Not because it requires a master password.

4wd:
4wd: What if you dont use firefox or thunderbird?-Josh (February 08, 2008, 06:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ahh well, you're already behind the eight-ball then  :D

What if you have other passwords you want to remember? What if you have network passwords for your job, what about combos to a safe? I can do all of this in roboform.

--- End quote ---

What if there's no computer next to the safe, your laptop's battery is flat and there's no power point near?

Didn't think of the network password bit, although when I did work, (retired), we were required to use a username/password to use the corp's network which required a change of password every month, (which contrary to everyone else I think is a stupid requirement).

Trouble with the corp network was everyone hated it, so everyone's password was 'yearmonth', eg. 1998janu

Old blog but true: http://blogs.technet.com/robert_hensing/archive/2004/07/28/199610.aspx

Then again maybe all our passwording will become redundant: http://technology.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn12825  ;)

BTW, Equilibrium is a really excellent movie.  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version