ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best password manager?

<< < (21/28) > >>

Dormouse:
I have Roboform and Keepass and a variety of vaults, but Lastpass seems really interesting to me as an Opera/Chrome in preference to FF/ie user.

As far as I can see, everything is locally encrypted; all data can be accessed in absence of Lastpass and security procedures look pretty good. I don't know that I'd use it for my TrueCrypt volumes or bank account access, but I do need a system that I actually use more frequently for general stuff.

I look forward to reading more informed comments and criticisms from the experts here.

justice:
I use roboform, but I just installed lastpass alongside it and it looks like now by using firefox with roboform I'm populating the password for use with lastpass + chrome. hehe

Perry Mowbray:
I use roboform, but I just installed lastpass alongside it and it looks like now by using firefox with roboform I'm populating the password for use with lastpass + chrome. hehe
-justice (March 23, 2009, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is very tempting  :D

Have you used LastPass on anything apart from FF & Chrome? Works same?

justice:
Chrome, safari, opera don't have plugin support - they're working on a safari plugin now. Chrome's next once google completes the extension api. Opera doesn't have plugin support. All these browsers can already use lastpass through javascript bookmarklet (which seems to work with some random number code? -  obviously not ideal).

FF & IE now have a lastpass plugin - logins get detected (roboform pops up after login but before pageload, lastpass pops up after login after pageload)

Ive only used it with firefox, not yet with IE.

cyberdiva:
After reading the discussion here about LastPass, I decided to install it so I could use it on Opera, since RoboForm won't work on Opera.  I set up an account and have LastPass installed as a plug-in on Firefox, but I found the process of getting the bookmarklet installed on Opera to be needlessly confusing.  LastPass provided me with not one but three sets of instructions, all different! 

#1 - When I logged into LastPass with Opera and clicked on Bookmarklets, the instruction page first said: "To install, you must drag the above links [i.e., the bookmarklets] to your bookmarks bar."  Duh...there is no bookmarks bar in Opera!  :down:  I tried dragging the bookmarklet link to every possible toolbar, but none of them accepted it. 

#2 - At some point, a box opened up on the page; it said:  "You're on LastPass.com.  If you haven't already installed the bookmarklet, you need to drag the bookmarklet (link you clicked on) into your 'Links' or 'Favorites' bar, then go to the site you want to Login or FormFill and click the bookmarklet."  Duh#2 -- I could find no Links or Favorites bar in Opera.  :down:

#3 - At last, I noticed that further down in the instructions, there was yet a third set, this one supposedly designed just for Opera.  It said: "You must right-click the link and bookmark, then set to Show on Personal Bar which is in Details.  You may also have to check View --> Toolbars --> Personal Bar, if it isn't already checked."   This turned out to be the right set of instructions.  The statements could be more clearly written, but at least they're correct.:up:

I'm writing now mostly to inform anyone else who is trying to get the LastPass bookmarklet(s) installed in Opera that you should ignore the first two sets of instructions and just follow the one meant only for Opera.  The videos, too, are less than helpful when it comes to using the bookmarklets with Opera.

I'm also wondering whether I should uninstall the plug-in for Firefox.  Will LastPass and RoboForm conflict with each other?  I don't need LastPass on Firefox, since I'm quite happy with RoboForm.  In an earlier message, justice seemed to suggest that LastPass would add all the information supplied by RoboForm when I logged into sites, which is why I let the plug-in be installed.  But what happens after that?  And will the information LastPass picks up on Firefox transfer automatically to Opera?  My head is spinning.  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version