ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you testing XP SP3 RC ??

<< < (14/19) > >>

Stephen47:
The people over at Tech Support Guy are telling me it is illegal to download SP3. I had a networking problem not related to Sp3 but after I installed it I put it in my signature and was scolded. Here is the link if you are interested in what a couple of them have to  say: http://forums.techguy.org/networking/661189-laptop-issue-redux.html

Ralf Maximus:
Note you can download XP SP3 RC1 directly from Microsoft's unsecured public servers.  Is that illegal?  No.  It may be ill-advised to run beta software, but criminal?  Hardly.

Here's the deal...

It's available to anyone who is interested in trying out the new build.  MSDN and TechNet subscribers have it now (about 15,000 subscriptions exist, some belonging to IT organizations of thousands of users, each of whom may have it now if they want) and the wraps are about to come off the public beta.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1038

They're not trying to stop the flow of XP SP3 RC1 downloads; in fact, they're counting on it.  They want everyone in the world to be their product test dummies and uncover the problems; and if there are problems they can paste a big concerned smile on their face and scold you with, "we told you it was a beta."

So relax, it's not illegal.  Not in the sense that any sane person cares -- not even Microsoft.

lanux128:
yes, it's not illegal but it comes with a warning that if it breaks anything they will have no part in it..  :huh:

Nighted:
Oh..My..Gawd...Thomas, what have you done with the Ferrari?!

tinyvillager:
I just installed this over top of the original SP3,no problems to report so far (5 Minutes after install  :D)

Standalone Update Package for Windows® XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate

Quick Details
File Name: windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe
Version: 3264
Knowledge Base (KB) Articles: KB936929 
Date Published: 12/18/2007
Language: English
Download Size: 336.1 MB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page