ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you testing XP SP3 RC ??

<< < (6/19) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
And so far: stability?

Darwin:
...Since upgrading to SP3, explorer hasn't crashed once (strange...very strange :D ). I'll give it a couple days and see what happens...-Nighted (November 29, 2007, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm comforted by this statement - for some reason explorer.exe crashes every other day on my system (XP Pro Sp-2) and often sits at 70-90MB of RAM usage (~50MB VM). The other bizarre thing is that often I have two instances running. Can't recall ever seeing this before. Anyway, the upshot of this is that I *hope* that from what Nighted is reporting I can infer that this has been dealt with in Sp-3 (please, pretty please with sugar on top).

blarson and Nighted, you brave souls, please keep the updates on your experiences coming  :Thmbsup:

nosh:
Darwin, any chance you're running PS Tray Factory? I don't have anything concrete but I always felt it degraded my system performance. Just checked explorer.exe in Process Viewer and it's using 20,744 K (private bytes) - all my usual apps are running and I have over 20 icons in my system tray. Two explorer.exe instances is something I've never encountered noticed, BTW. Wonder if it has anything to do with a 3rd party file manager integrating itself into the system...

Darwin:
nosh - yes I do run PS Tray Factory and I have [cough][ahem]quite a few[/ahem][/cough] 3rd party file managers installed... Anyway, thanks! I'll follow up on those suggestions  :Thmbsup:

Darwin:
You were right - it was PSTrayFactory driving up explorer.exe's RAM usage. I can live with it, particularly as I now know what is causing it. No idea what caused the duplicate explorer.exe to be running. I shutdown the one consuming lower resources (at the time it was using about 40MB RAM) and nothing happened - ie my desktop, tray and taskbar remained in place. I rebooted and tried running each of the 3rd party file managers that I have installed in turn and the duplicate explorer.exe didn't re-appear. A mystery... I wonder if explorer.exe crashed and two different apps tried to restart it simultaneously? Just a random thought.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version