ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you testing XP SP3 RC ??

(1/19) > >>

Curt:
CyberNet Technology News have been telling about the availability of XP SP3 RC, Release Candidate, so I am of course curious if it will work on my localized (Danish) version. Are any of you guys testing the Release Candidate of XP SP3 ? Do I dare to give it a try on my Danish PC, by changing my registry keys ??

The way to get it:

Update XP to SP3 Release Candidate:

1) Copy and paste the following code into Notepad:

will modify the registry!@echo off
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\XPSP3 /f 2> NUL
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\XPSP3 /v RCPreview /t REG_SZ /d 1c667073-b87f-4f52-a479-98c85711d869 /f
echo XPSP3 registry key has been set. Please check for updates in Windows Update.

2) Save the file as XPSP3.cmd (it’s important to include the extension).

3) Run the file that you saved in Step 2 by double-clicking on it.
Restart your computer and check for new Windows Updates.

4) Windows XP SP3 should be found, and it is a 337 MB download so give it some time to download and apply the updates.

When all is said and done your version of Windows XP should be:
Windows XP Build 2600.xpsp.071030-1537: Service Pack 3, v.3244

Enjoy the better performance and stability! You can hold off until next year if you want to download XP SP3 when it is officially released.

[via Softpedia & Computer World]
Thanks for the tip Storytellerofsci-fi!

Copyright © 2007 CyberNet |
-Martin, CyberNet
--- End quote ---

Darwin:
blarson is using it, as mentioned in this thread. There was some discussion of it after that, with the consensus (fodder and Ralf) being that it would be folly to intall a RC version of a service pack on your primary Workstation. I'd *like* to install this now and enjoy the performance boost myself (particularly as I suspect that by the time this rolls out next year the performance boost will have turned into a performance "hit") but there's no way I'm doing it until it's been tested. I simply can't afford the risk on my main computer (my other one expired and was Win2k anyway and the only other non-frontline use machine in the house is supplied by my wife's employer).

Curt:
So it have been told already. Well, I never would have thought that I had to read a thread about Mac ads to hear about XP SP3.

Anyway: I just might try this - but I will sleep on it...
Thanks for the advice!

nudone:
will it make crysis play better on my worn out computer?

no.

ah, what's the point then.

Grorgy:
I'm a bit of a believer in the bigger hammer theory, you know the one, if a little hammer doesn't do the job try a bigger one, well Curt, for you given that your computer sounds as though its almost dead anyway, id give it a go, if you kill it, you are forced to get it fixed upgraded whatever  (a good thing!), otherwise you may just improve things slightly (another good thing), who knows  ;) 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version