ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google GDrive: Coming Soon

(1/3) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
From Wired news comes an update on the near-mythological GDrive service:

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/11/the-fabled-gdri.html

Not to be confused with GMail Drive, GDrive will be the officially sanctioned humungous drive-in-the-sky that Google hopes will become your main shared repository of offline data.  The rumored client software (code name Platypus) adds a GDrive icon to your My Computer for simple access; data-save speeds are stated to be as fast as local storage.

Naturally, there will be an open API with encouragement for 3rd party add-ons and whatnot.  Google's pricing strategy is murky, but one thing is certain: a basic GDrive account will be free and if you want more, you'll pay. 

Privacy and security issues aside, will this be a good thing?  For the vast majority of everyday users, the ones for whom internet storage is a mysterious concept, yes.  Give them a brainless interface and a few gigabytes of magic storage and you'll be hard pressed to find people without a GDrive icon.

Will file sharing be permitted?  Do polar bears make yellow snow?  Of COURSE it will be... which will poke the entertainment industry with an even sharper stick.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of fury will be unleashed, with Google being the 6000 pound gorilla and all.  Nobody wants to piss off Google:  "Okay, Sony, here's the deal... we'll restore all your search engine links if you drop your lawsuit."

And what'll the fallout be for Microsoft and anyone else eyeing the offline storage market?  Is this good old fashioned competition, or will GDrive be the gun brought to a knife fight?

Edvard:
Until then, there are still a few services around that will try to steal thunder while they still can.
I wouldn't want to be in competition with Google anytime soon, but here's one that looks like a promising alternative:

Coming soon

Premium Storage Plans
Need more than 50GB of online storage? Soon we will offer competitively priced storage packages to meet all of data storage needs. Check back for updates to our additional storage plans following the beta stage of ADrive.com.

Enhanced Features
We are working hard to deliver the best features for our valued users. Some of the enhanced features that will soon be released include:

Personalized Snapshots
Retrieve older versions of your files using snapshot technology. Schedule your own snapshots to backup and protect your stored data.

ADrive Desktop Client
Upload your files to ADrive directly from your desktop, just drag and drop.

File Sharing
Don’t worry about emailing large attachments anymore with ADrive’s file sharing service.

--- End quote ---

cmpm:
I wonder how many gigs will be free?

And if you can hyperlink to the things you put in there.

Xdrive has 5 gigs free, no hyperlinking.
Web interface works better then the xdrive icon deal.
Of course if you want to let someone in,
you gotta give 'em the password.

http://xdrive.com/

cmpm:
my mistake-you can share files via e-mail with xdrive
setting it up you have to email the ones you want to share with

which can be done with google docs and spreadsheets also

Ralf Maximus:
And if you can hyperlink to the things you put in there.
-cmpm (November 27, 2007, 11:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I linked to everything I had; there's no official GDrive link at the Google website.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version