ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Making a custom XP cd

(1/5) > >>

MrCrispy:
As I said in my last post, I'm going to try and go back to XP from Vista on my new pc and see how it goes. After reading the recent news of how XP SP3 brings huge performance gains and how some apps like Office are 2x slower on Vista, I feel I have all the more reason to do so. It'll be a fun little adventure either way.

Since a normal XP install doesn't support SATA/Raid or any of the other new hardware, I'm going to make a custom boot cd. I've been reading the usual forums and links, such as nLite, driverpacks.net, msfn forums and there is just an unbelievable amount of customization going on - its all a bit overwhelming! And it turns out there are a ton of apps to bring most of Vista's gui to XP, so naturally I want to do that as well :)

Has anyone else made their special XP cd and what did you put on it? I will update with my progress and share any custom config I use.

f0dder:
I've used nLite for quite a while, both for tweaking and driver+hotfix integration. I've always used RyanVM's update pack, since when I tried manual hotfix integration (hotfixes downloaded with windows update downloader), I appearantly tried to slipstream something that wasn't really a hotfix, which gave an error message during installation.

Other than that, I remove components and apply some registry tweaks for performance and app settings, like integrating xplorer^2 to replace explorer, set filetype associations for Notepad++ and ACDSEE32, etc.

nontroppo:
nLite is great!  8)

Nighted:
I use nLite all the time. It's the only way I've installed XP for the last 2 years. The only thing I add to it is WinRAR, XP updates and drivers.

BTW....if you use nLite a lot, you may want to know about this site. ;)

Weird...I didn't know about WUD until now. Thanks for that. I don't use RyanVM stuff at all as I prefer to compile my own updates. So far, I get my updates here and then add them to my nLite folder.

tinjaw:
BTW....if you use nLite a lot, you may want to know about this site. ;)
-Nighted (November 27, 2007, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ummm. Why?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version