topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What do you know about "LiveCode?"  (Read 2464 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What do you know about "LiveCode?"
« on: January 05, 2011, 04:34 PM »
Hello,

I was introduced to LiveCode by a guy on another board.  Looks intriguing to me, but I am curious as to what any users here know about it?

In my discussions with him he kept mentioning that, "...it will drive you crazy!"  I finally pinned him down about what *it* was about LiveCode that drove coders "crazy?"  His response...

"Heh... the tendency to "over-develop" and/or to "over engineer" any given problem is unbelievable. Typically, when I run into problems and have to ask for help, the solutions are almost always so much easier than what I might have been banging my head over for hours, trying to work out.
That alone will make you crazy. "

A little research shows they used to be called "Runtime Revolutions."  Here's what one web site said...

Runtime Revolution has dropped the "Revolution" moniker from its self-described "HyperCard descended" cross-platform rapid development environment and updated it under a new name, LiveCode. The new version offers several new features and improvements, as well as the debut of an all-new deployment pack for iOS development.

The platform boasts a natural-language, English-like structure that offers easily understandable code and allows for instant runtime testing without waiting for a program to compile; users can even make changes to the interface or code while the application is running. The iOS deployment pack, included with the basic package, adds support for shake motion detection, multi-touch, accelerometer, photo pickers, orientation, core location and sending email. It is suitable for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch app development, and apps written for one platform can be easily adapted to others.

- Read the rest here.

Since this probably sounds like trolling (if I understand the term), neither my acquaintance nor myself has any compensatory affiliation with LiveCode.

Ok, that ought to prime the pump if there is any interest.  Looking forward to your comments.

Fair winds,
Calvin

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:04 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What do you know about "LiveCode?"
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:05 AM »
Not really a big deal, but I find it odd that the QuickTime "about" video on their homepage won't play on my iPhone. Especially since they have an iPhone dev product.  :huh: