topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Mirror portion of multi-monitor  (Read 20291 times)

jarhead

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Mirror portion of multi-monitor
« on: November 26, 2007, 12:38 PM »
I use software that displays the work environment on my main monitor (which is one application window) and a presentation display on my second monitor (which is a second application window).  With the presentation display on the second monitor activated, I can start typing the ID of an image I want to display with the text I am typing displayed in the bottom right corner of the presentation display.

Is it possible to create an application that would allow me to mirror just the bottom right corner of my presentation display in a small window on my main display so that I would not have to look at the second monitor to see what I am typing?  I cannot tell you how helpful such an application would be in my daily work.  Thanks!

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Mirror portion of multi-monitor
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 05:31 PM »
Maybe ShowOff by Skrommel could be modified to work for you?

HTH
Ath

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 06:39 PM »
I'm not 100% sure what the real uses for this would be, but a nice generic solution would be a program with 2 "regions", or rather a window and a region selector.  The window could be placed and sized as desired, and would display the contents of the selected region, which could be moved anywhere.

So basically this is like a "magnification" tool, except that it can before enlargement or reduction, and doesn't follow the cursor, but rather shows the content of a selected region on your screens.

I wouldn't be surprised if such a program didn't already exist.. if someone finds it (or writes it!) please post.

Could be useful for given presentation talks, etc.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 06:52 PM »
Hey Mouser, you got the right idea. I was getting some screenshots and confirming that the built in magnification tool in Windows would do this. While I was away you posted.

Here is the key piece of info.

[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]

Start the Magnifier (Win + R | type in "magnify" | <enter> ) and then move the Magnifier Settings over the spot you want to watch (since at this point it is following your mouse) and then uncheck the "Follow mouse cursor" box. then uncheck follow keyboard and follow text editing as well. Then minimize the setting dialog. At this point, it will stay where you left it and you can position the magnified view on the other screen. I am doing this as I type this reply.

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 10:39 PM »
Pretty neat! And I can see the value of such a tool. However, when I do as tinjaw has suggested it works fine UNTIL I right click on something/anything. Then the focus of the magnified area goes to the place where I've right clicked or the top of the context menu which that may have launched.
TruckerJim says "You can go down a hill too slow a thousand times. But too fast only once."

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 07:17 AM »
However, when I do as tinjaw has suggested it works fine UNTIL I right click on something/anything.

Oops. Sorry about that. I didn't go that far in my testing. Hopefully somebody will find something better.

jarhead

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 10:27 AM »
I'm not 100% sure what the real uses for this would be, but a nice generic solution would be a program with 2 "regions", or rather a window and a region selector.  The window could be placed and sized as desired, and would display the contents of the selected region, which could be moved anywhere.

So basically this is like a "magnification" tool, except that it can before enlargement or reduction, and doesn't follow the cursor, but rather shows the content of a selected region on your screens.

I wouldn't be surprised if such a program didn't already exist.. if someone finds it (or writes it!) please post.

Could be useful for given presentation talks, etc.

mouser-

Giving presentations is exactly what this would be used for.  I give a lot of them and currently I have to look at the screen where the presentation display is being projected to see what I am typing.  It would be so much faster and convenient if I was able to see what I was typing in a simple window on my main display.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 07:18 PM »
Nice new freeware tool related to this, called "PresentationMode":
http://fileforum.bet...ionMode/1195730932/1

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 07:19 PM »
However, when I do as tinjaw has suggested it works fine UNTIL I right click on something/anything. Then the focus of the magnified area goes to the place where I've right clicked or the top of the context menu which that may have launched.

If you uncheck all of the tracking boxes it shouldn't move should it?

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 10:23 PM »
Don't know if it should have or not. Just call'm as I see'm.  :o
TruckerJim says "You can go down a hill too slow a thousand times. But too fast only once."

jarhead

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 10:35 AM »
Nice new freeware tool related to this, called "PresentationMode":
http://fileforum.bet...ionMode/1195730932/1

Nice find mouser but the software essentially mirrors your laptop screen and projects it.  I want the opposite... define a region on my second monitor and have a window on my laptop screen that displays just that portion.  I'm still playing around with PresentationMode now (although the ZoomIt application from System Internals does a lot of the same).

jarhead

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 10:36 AM »
However, when I do as tinjaw has suggested it works fine UNTIL I right click on something/anything. Then the focus of the magnified area goes to the place where I've right clicked or the top of the context menu which that may have launched.

If you uncheck all of the tracking boxes it shouldn't move should it?

You would think so but I tried it out and encountered the same issues as BigJim describes.

jarhead

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 03:50 PM »
I just downloaded the trial version of UltraMon and I noticed under the Add-ons section of the site there was a utility called MirrorMon.  I downloaded it and this little app does exactly what I was looking for.  You can define an area of the screen and mirror it in a window.  I am mirroring a section of my second monitor which displays nicely in a little window on my main monitor.  Works great with no CPU usage.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 08:00 AM »
Thanks for reporting back jarhead. That's a good piece of info to squirrel away. I'm sure I'll use it at some point in the future.

monkeyman2424

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 03:11 PM »
Hey guys, I know this post is really old, but its one of the only websites with this question, so I had to post the solution I found for others to see. If I had this problem, then im sure others have had it, too. (Of course this program probably wasnt around then, but still.) There is this amazing, free program called OnTopReplica that does exactly what (I think) you are talking about. Its simple and works. Here is the link: http://ontopreplica.codeplex.com/

Hope this helps people looking for a good solution.