ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Skin Your Shutdown...

<< < (2/7) > >>

Curt:
Oh, so Shutdown can have a dialog?  :o

- for what purpose? Is it to ask if I really want to shutdown?  :tellme:

8)
I hit the appropiate hotkey, and XP will shutdown / reboot without any questions asked.

manimatters:
Thanks a bunch for those excellent mods Phil! Doing mods like these give you a kick that no "software"  replacements can give. Im goin to try the mod u gave, plus the site u pointed to also has other mods that are supercool. Those should keep me busy for some time. Thanx again.

manimatters:
If you want a noquestions asked type shutdown, just take a look at this:
http://www.xp-smoker.com/freeware.html
Works like lightning. I was in dire need of it because whenever my dad leaves after working on the computer, although he presses the shutdown button, and gives the command to shutdown, but never waits for the computer to actually turn off and turns off the ups power supply. This utility beats my dad to the power button!! :D

J-Mac:
Wow - I was just going to start a new topic for my question, but this one sounds so close I think I'll hijack it for a moment if no one minds.

I have a few maintenance processes that need to restart my PC after running.  These are all scheduled tasks so taht I do not have to wait around for them to complete.

But.....  I also have a few programs that insist on throwing up a warning when the PC is shutting down - and of course they can delay or completely stop the shutdown process.  And I really hate that!!  One is a surveillance camera system I installed in my house.  When PC is shutting down the Command Center software for the camera system pops up a warning that the camera system will not be monitoring/recording if the PC shuts down.  And of course the always most-hated "dwin cannot start because the unit is shutting down..." or whatever that error reporting piece of junk says!  I have already "removed" the ability of dwin to even run using Microsoft's instructions (deleting the Aedebug registry key), but for the last 8 or 10 months that fix doesn't work anymore.  It still does this even without the reg key there.

I think the methods mentioned in this thread all work only if you are manually shutting down.  If not, I apologize in advance.  (I'm going to try them after posting this)  Does anyone know how to eliminate such shutdown-stopping dialogs completely?

Thanks!

Jim

lanux128:
If you want a noquestions asked type shutdown, just take a look at this:
http://www.xp-smoker.com/freeware.html-manimatters (November 27, 2007, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
i was curious about this program previously but after this discussion, i stopped using it.. just letting you know. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version