ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Hard Drive Diagnostic Software

<< < (5/7) > >>

f0dder:
Ummm, I thought that it was chkdsk that obsoleted scandisk? The last time I saw scandisk was on Win9x boxes :)

nosh:
MS used the same name for the utilities if I'm not mistaken. "chkdsk" can be traced back to the MS-DOS days and caused some serious problems in Win9x with utilities like Magic Folders that had a somewhat unconventional approach to the file system  (it whacked off all hidden folders in MF's case.  ;D )

Ralf Maximus:
Time to set up for scan on boot and reboot.
-tinjaw (November 26, 2007, 09:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

So.....?

tinjaw:
So.....?
-Ralf Maximus (November 27, 2007, 10:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

When I rebooted, it started to perform the chkdsk, but on the C: drive. I went to bed. When I woke up Windows was booted and I can't tell if it even did a chkdsk on the external USB drive.

So I have shelved this until the weekend when I will put the drive in a sled and stick it in a box so it is connected to a proper IDE controller.

f0dder:
When you schedule multiple boot-time CHKDSKs, they are all performed - although with all the trickeries of USB drives and reassigned letters, I dunno if there's a risk of that failing.

Shouldn't be necessary to do boot-time chkdsk of an external drive though, you should be able to do that under normal windows operation :-s

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version