ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

VectorMagic: Convert Bitmaps into Vector Art (Free)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Edvard:
Inkscape uses Potrace as it's tracing engine, which is primarily useful for black and white images.
While it is VERY tunable (You can get it to trace the dots in a halftone...), Vectormagic's deal is way more robust. You can select different tracing 'schemes' to get the best results, and after it's traced, it also has a utility to edit the bitmap for better trace results.
Where I work, we use vector art for signs and things all the time and Vectormagic has turned out to be VERY useful for some things that Illustrator gave unsatisfactory results.

cranioscopical:
Vectormagic has turned out to be VERY useful for some things that Illustrator gave unsatisfactory results.
-Edvard (November 27, 2007, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
Just to agree with your point -- I thought that IllusCS3 was doing quite well until I saw output from VectorMagic.
I ran a complex photograph through VM at the maximum allowed resolution (lots of leaves on trees in background, person and hairy dog in foreground) and I could see using the resulting vector image to create a very acceptable poster.

jgpaiva:
This is VERY cool :D

Here's my test:

mikiem:
Definitely Very, VERY cool...  :Thmbsup:

FWIW haven't had a huge amount of luck with any of the tracing applets I'd guess you could call them in the vector graphics packages.

FWIW, I guess along the lines of when I was a kid I had to walk for X miles.... Remember back when vector graphics were the only way to get something like a full page ad to print, and then the poor 286 & laser printer would be chugging along for a couple three hours before spitting out the 1st proof copy -- then having to go back and find the source of any errors, correct them, and start over. Now-days you don't always have to use Vector graphics, so loads of folks have never had the pleasure of learning what a $#@%*!!! pain it can be to draw with using point handles.

Yeah, this site's tracing is VERY cool!

Renegade:
Wow. That's some pretty good quality - especially for a web site.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version