ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Find and replace from text file? Or similar?

(1/2) > >>

Mandork:
I might be being really dense, but it seems that none of the find and replace utilities that I have looked at do quite what I want.

I would like to be able to define a list of standard replacements to make and then store it somewhere, so that when I have a file that I need to do multiple replacements on I can just run it, rather than doing find-replace over and over. 

The particular application:  I have a very long BibTeX file (3500+ entries), some of which are written using the LaTeX codes for characters, and some of which have characters that I put in using ASCII codes, or whatever the places I imported them from used.  Some of them are causing problems when I try to compile the document, and I would like to go through and replace them all with the codes.  I anticipate having to do this more than once, so it would be nice to have a ready-defined list to run.  It only needs to be one file at a time.

The list would be something like:
find  replace
á      \'{a}
Á     \'{A}
é      \'{e}

And so on.  Lots of programs seem like they will do this, but I can't figure out how to avoid typing in the list over and over again.

Sorry if it is a dumb question...

kimmchii:
try InfoRapid Search & Replace

after you make a search it is available in the dropdown menu, you can right click on a file or folder to search too.

Veign:
My Seeker application can be driven by a command line and search/replace's can be stored in a file.  So you can recall a file to perform a common search and replace.

Seeker:
http://www.veign.com/application.php?appid=104

nosh:
Take a look at ReplaceEm, I think it does exactly what you need. The list you described can be saved as a group and reused.

tinjaw:
try InfoRapid Search & Replace
-kimmchii (November 25, 2007, 04:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
That looks nice kimmchii. I'll have to check that out. When I was reading up on it I also saw their InfoRapid KnowledgeMap which looks pretty neat. It would take some time to check that out, but I have bookmarked it for later.

InfoRapid KnowledgeMap is a complete Knowledge Management System suitable for use at home, at work or on the company intranet. The suite consists of two components: an image-editing (drawing) program for creating graphically sophisticated mindmaps, and the intelligent KnowledgeMap server, which analyzes text document content and integrates it with a knowledge map.
--- End quote ---

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]
[attachthumb=#2][/attachthumb]
[attachthumb=#3][/attachthumb]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version