ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

GoodSync free from RoboForm today (not)

<< < (2/6) > >>

tinjaw:
 :mad: I'm angry about it as well. I went through the same thing back in October.

[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]

Ralf Maximus:
Something to keep in mind... if the company is based in the United States, and if it can be demonstrated that enough consumers have been suckered into thinking they're getting something for free when they're not, that's classified as deceptive advertising.  Something the Federal Trade Commission has an interest in.

They won't send vehicles with sirens or anything, but they do log complaints.  If enough complaints register, they'll investigate.  They are terribly gung-ho about internet crime right now (id theft, scams, interstate ecommerce theft) so nothing is too small for them, and who knows?  If enough complaints roll in for a given company a nice letter from the FTC might be all it takes to stop the behavior.

https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup

Carol Haynes:
They are based at:

Siber Systems
11781 Lee Jackson Hwy
Suite 260
Fairfax, VA 22033
US

I suppose they would argue that they are not breaking any rules because they are giving away a working (if limited) version for free - so users are getting something for nothing. What is annoying is that they are targeting current loyal customers with something that seems to be a loyalty bonus or free gift when in fact it is a freely available to anyone trial/crippleware version.

Personally I think they are just stupid - it has pissed me off. In the past i have sung the praises of RoboForm but no more - how many others are going to feel the same way? Word of mouth is everything with internet marketing.

Josh:
I agree this is deceptive marketing, but to stop liking a product based on the company's actions, to me, is ludicrous if the application that you have been loyal to continues to work. Yes, this is the wrong way to advertise. Will I stop using roboform because of it? No, because nothing else even comes close to what it does.

Carol Haynes:
That's not what I said - I will continue using RoboForm but I won't promote the company to other users any more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version