ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Seriously, wtf is going on with Apple's Mac vs. Pc ads?

<< < (4/15) > >>

Renegade:
There is another ad in their "Give Up on Vista" campaign...

First take a look at the ad that is appearing on web pages all over the place...

-app103 (November 24, 2007, 11:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

More alienation...

Who the target consumer is, makes a big difference sometimes.
-app103 (November 24, 2007, 11:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

As both a user and a developer... Apple is doing a very good job of alienating me completely. Every ad I see like that makes me hate them more and more.

At this point I'd almost feel dirty if I started developing on my mac.

Darwin:
So when will MS make an ad about Leopard issues?

--- End quote ---

Guaranteed that if they did the shitstorm of outrage from Mac, Linux, and Windows users alike would be monumental. Not to mention negative publicity in the media...

Ralf Maximus:
I imagine Apple users are universally amused by the ads.  Also, it reaffirms their feeling that they've made the right decision by not going with that horrible Vista. 

And if Windows users get pissed off, so what?  Apple's not targeting that demographic.  The overlapping set of Mac+Windows users is so small they probably don't even register on their demographics radar.

By now "conventional wisdom" has condemned Vista to a defensive position; even if MS gets all the bugs fixed and Vista becomes the Windows of our dreams, 13 months of Vista Sucks word-of-mouth has done its work.  Even MS knows this, which is why we're hearing more and more mainstream chatter about Windows 7.

Darwin:
True, Ralf, true. Still, I'm sure that even if MS had run a PC vs. Mac series of ads 18 months ago the howls of protest would have been epic... There is this ingrained perception that Apple can do no wrong and that MS is a lumbering behemoth that does nothing right (except screw over unsuspecting millions with shitty code and make a fortune vs. the true visionaries and geniuses at Apple who are only in this for the love of producing products that are unassailable in design and exectution).

Lashiec:
Personally, I take these ads as what they are, ads. And pretty funny, by the way, except for the one about boxing (W-T-F, that one is terrible). It's not that they're going to change anything, people is not going to flock from Vista to Leopard overnight, even if all over the Internet people continues to talk about the BIG Vista migration (I can count with one hand those people who REALLY passed on Vista, despite bashing it to no end).

I suppose this particular one is for fan service, talking about something that is boiling on the Internet (not on the real world though), and making some fun of it. An ad is an ad, nobody takes them seriously, so don't get so angry about it.

Just for some laughs, a friend of mine is running Vista AND Leopard... and XP as well, although he rarely uses it. And he does not complain about any of the three.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version