ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Seriously, wtf is going on with Apple's Mac vs. Pc ads?

<< < (11/15) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
Assuming one does install a beta SP on their primary workstation (IMHO, about as safe as coating your penis with honey and sticking it in a beehive) does the beta expire?  And then can you install the legitimate SP over it later?

Renegade:
Assuming one does install a beta SP on their primary workstation (IMHO, about as safe as coating your penis with honey and sticking it in a beehive) does the beta expire?  And then can you install the legitimate SP over it later?
-Ralf Maximus (November 26, 2007, 08:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

HAHAHAHAHA~! :D

I suppose the answer is kind of like coating your penis in honey and installing it in a beehive - You can uninstall it later... But it's still gonna hurt! :D

Ralf - you kill me!

f0dder:
Ralf - you kill me!
-Renegade (November 26, 2007, 09:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Is it really Ralf that's killing you - or your regular beehiving sessions?  :o

zridling:
It's never a good idea to insult your potential customers, but given my own year-long bad Vista experience, I find them amusing. The "downgrade back to XP" one especially ("Where by 'downgrade' he means upgrade to an older, more stable version.") I don't think these commercials are working, but the shortcomings of Vista occurred to create a perfect storm against the Windows platform:

— UAC gets turned off
 — Poor driver support
 — Slower, requiring faster hardware
 — Vista's EULA compared to OS X's (where "every version is the ultimate") or change your hardware, buy another copy of Vista!
 — DRM; Trusted Computing; WGA
 — MS-OOXML and Office 2007; OGA

All this came at a time when both Apple and Linux were putting out the best versions of their OS software in years. It's a practical fact that what Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away — I just wanted a faster computer that was more reliable. Instead I was handed the utter mess that is Vista Explorer, and my brand new expensive, superfast computer ran slower with Vista than my 5-year old machine ran XP! And for that fact alone, I call bullshit on Microsoft.

It's no mistake that Wal-Mart just sold 200,000 $200 gOS Linux machines in two weeks. People will always take value. I can't stand Apple, but trust me, I've seen more than a dozen people I know personally switch to it in the past year, and this includes two IT admins!! And all of them were Windows users. So it's safe to say that virtually every new Apple user is a former Windows user.

Darwin:
I just wanted a faster computer that was more reliable. Instead I was handed the utter mess that is Vista Explorer, and my brand new expensive, superfast computer ran slower with Vista than my 5-year old machine ran XP! And for that fact alone, I call bullshit on Microsoft.

--- End quote ---

Thank you Zaine! I had the same experience and have posted about it a number of times here. I've been secretly wondering if I was being histrionic, so it's nice to read that someone else had the same dramatic result. BTW, I'd add to the following to your list of Vista blunders:

* I can buy Tiger in Canada for ~ $99. This is one version to rule them all - virgin install, upgrades, Home, business, Pro, etc. Compare this to Vista's pricing and you start reeling and vomiting in the street
* Vista breaks many applications - either they don't run at all under it or that run with broken functionality. Many 3rd party suppliers are releasing new versions to run on Vista but guess what, they're CHARGING for them, in some cases BIG money. This isn't in and of itself a terrible thing, and it happened at the 95 and NT/2k/XP transitions, but it is a coinsideration because it greatly increases the cost of upgrading - either via OS install or through a new computer purchase
Crazy. I'm telling you, if Steven Jobs got his head out of his own rearend and released Tiger into the wild to run on non-Apple machines, Apple would exponentially increase its market share in weeks. I'd buy it just to try it out - for the price, why wouldn't I? My hope if this happened would be that Microsoft would get their collective act together and respond with something amazing. Actually, I think XP is great - a service pack that added some of the features of Vista, like its searching capabilities, would be great. Heck, they could even charge $99 for it...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version