topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Tanaka Auto-Door  (Read 6197 times)

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Tanaka Auto-Door
« on: December 18, 2007, 11:39 PM »
You want doors in your house that swoosh open as you approach, just like Star Trek.  Of course you do:

http://www.e-taf.co....page2&category=0

AutoDoor.jpg

The Tanaka site is in japanese, but I found an older article from 2005 describing the thing in English:

The Tanaka Auto Door opens automatically when you stand in front of it. Even better, it only opens just enough to let the individual person come in.

The Auto Door consists of individual slats that slide open and closed from the side of the door. Each slat is half the width of the door; each slat has a sensor. If you stand in front of the door, the sensors determine how much of the door needs to open to allow you to enter.

Okay, so no swooshy sound effect, but I bet it makes a cool clattery sound as it operates.  The first thing I'd buy after having one of these installed would be a case of tennis balls, just to... you know...  anyway:

ou may be wondering what is so great about a door that opens only just enough to let a person come in or out; it minimizes the amount of heating or air conditioning let out of a building, as well as minimizing the entry of pollen or other pollutants from the outside.

Ding!  Justification.  I now *need* one of these to keep from wrecking the planet and dying from pollen overdose.  Where's the checkbook?

Video of the thing in action here.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tanaka Auto-Door
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 11:52 PM »
very cool idea.. and looks bloody annoying to use.  wake me for version 2.