ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

ideas for process tamer

(1/7) > >>

mouser:
ProcessTamer is the latest little utility i've been working on.
there are several things i could add to it - if anyone has desired functions please let me know.

things that could be added:

* a nice gui for configuring new rules/exclusions
* more kinds of rules, for example to restart an app if it is found not running; to set time periods for running apps at certain priorities, etc.
* ability to display current processes and priorities from tray click
* ability to configure and switch between rule sets from the tray icon
* customizable icons for tray
* ability to add custom menus to tray icon for launching or stopping certain processes
* features to let you use process tamer to collect a log of what programs were run and when (ie statistics on time spent)
* better simple logging info
* more options about configuring program, like turning off baloon hints, etc.
* win9x suppper
ps. if you are a member of donationcoder.com make sure you grab the latest release which is available for members only (see members only section).

Jibz:
Here are a couple of things that might be nice (some from your list):

* ability to adjust cpu usage limit
* wildcard matching of program names in ApplicationOverrides.txt
* use ini-file style for the override file, with sections for ignore, idle, high, kill instead of having to specify it for each program
* gui for configuring rules
* ability to switch between rulesets from the tray icon
Nice work :Thmbsup:.

mouser:
im definitely going to move to a more full config file instead of the applicationovverides file;
the config file will allow settings parameters like high and low thresholds cpu usage triggering.

and i will add gui config file.

would a gui config file do away with the need to use wildcards?
though you do have that nice wildcard library you wrote i could use for that :)
i should also probably make the filename matching case insensitive.

switching rulesets is def. something im considering;
it would involve some extra work, but it would allow some extra functionality that i used to have in another program i made,
such that if i added ability to specify processes to start and stop with a rule set,
then you could use a rule set to start up or shut down a whole set of processes.

ie you could select from tray to start your web server config, and it would launch (if not already running) your web server and helper tools, and set up your cpu thresholds, etc.  then you could switch "off" that ruleset and it would shut down those programs.

almost sounds like a different program though..

Jibz:
would a gui config file do away with the need to use wildcards?
though you do have that nice wildcard library you wrote i could use for that :)
i should also probably make the filename matching case insensitive.-mouser
--- End quote ---

Ah .. I initially thought it was handling programs by window title, in which case wildcards would be more important. They might still be handy for filenames though, like e.g. adjusting priority of development tools (C:\VC\*.exe). Case insensitive matching would be a very good idea ;).

almost sounds like a different program though..-mouser
--- End quote ---

True. It's important to keep the main focus of the application in mind, which I suppose was a tiny tool to limit cpu usage.

Btw, that's a slightly odd color in the back of quotes .. perhaps a calm blue would be better?

mouser:
agreed, that purple is horrible.  let me see if i can fix.

light green.. it's better but not sure if its perfect.

:feedback:

tried blue but it seemed too close to table borders.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version