ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Going back to XP

<< < (4/5) > >>

Josh:
It does run in usermode. The graphics subsystem is run via a desktop window manager now (DWM.EXE).

Ralf Maximus:
It does run in usermode. The graphics subsystem is run via a desktop window manager now (DWM.EXE).
-Josh (November 25, 2007, 09:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting.  What does that buy you exactly?  If the video drivers crash it doesn't take Windows down too?

So what happens if they do crash?  They reboot?  You get "Safe Mode" 256-color drivers so you can limp along and do a manual shut down?  Or what?

Josh:
The one time I've had DWM crash, it restarted the program immediately. No reboot needed.

justice:
yep it just like any ordinary crash, it just 'keeps running' obviously restarting itself and then displaying a nice report error dialog.

zridling:
I did the same downgrade mrcrispy, despite having another Vista installation in the house. XP-SP3 will increase your speed another 10%. I built a new 64-bit machine earlier this year, slapped Vista x64 on it and have had 3rd party driver problems from the start. I still have a brand new printer packed in a box for lack of a Vista driver. However, if you'd like to keep the Vista UI for your XP, check out these 5 Tools to Make Windows XP Look Like Vista.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version