ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Going back to XP

(1/5) > >>

MrCrispy:
I've decided to dump Vista and go back to XP :( I didn't make this decision lightly since there are a lot of things about Vista I like, but I don't think I have a choice.

After a lot of research, I built a new pc in mid August (after Intel's July 22 price cuts), It has really good components - P35 motherboard, 2GB Ram, quad core Q6600. I expected Vista to fly on this. Unfortunately, I have had nothing but problems. From constant blue screens which have reduced as I installed every hotfix and patch I could find, to application crashes and inexplicable behaviour, I never quite feel in control of the machine. I've run all sorts of hardware stress tests, memory diagnostics etc and everything is fine.

It had gotten to the point where it was unusable and I do all my computing on my laptop. So I'm going to backup all my data, do a clean format and its back to good old XP. I'll miss the search feature the most I think, and the UI but its just not worth the hassle.

nontroppo:
Had you used a third-party search before switching to Vista, if so how did it compare?

f0dder:
I'm quite content with locate32 for searches, never really liked those things that index automatically behind my back (I never know when things are properly indexed), and I haven't gotten into the habit of content searching...

Anyway, be sure to grab a 64-bit version of XP when you're going back, unless you have stuff with 64-bit problems.

nosh:
Upgrading your OS? Good for you, I say!  :Thmbsup:

Unless MS does something radically different I wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of users carry on using XP even after Windows 7  hits the shelves. Heavy Live Services integration SpoilerBill Gates, in an interview with Newsweek, also suggested that the next version of Windows would "be more user-centric." When asked to clarify what he meant, Gates said: "That means that right now when you move from one PC to another, you've got to install apps on each one, do upgrades on each one. Moving information between them is very painful. We can use Live Services to know what you're interested in. So even if you drop by a [public] kiosk or somebody else's PC, we can bring down your home page, your files, your fonts, your favorites and those things.
and other goober-features SpoilerAnother feature mentioned by Bill Gates is "a pervasive typing line that will recognize the sentence that [the user is] typing in." The implications of this could be as simple as a "complete as you type" function as found in most modern search engines, (e.g. Google Suggest) or as complex as being able to give verbal commands to the PC without any concern for syntax.
may by more than enough to put a good number of power users off. 2010 is not that far away considering the mammoth task these guys have on their hands...

mouser:
Personally i'm not a fan of vista and i prefer XP.  However, until you confirm the bluescreens etc. dissapear when you move to XP, you might want to hold off on your blame of Vista for those troubles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version