ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How often do you reboot your primary workstation?

(1/7) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
By "reboot" I mean turning your machine on in the morning (if you do that) or any time you do a shutdown/restart, whether forced into it by circumstance or just because you're mad at your computer and want to show it who's boss.

This one's open to anybody, regardless of operating system.  Laptop users can vote, but unless it's your primary workstation that's kind of silly.

If you select "Only as needed" please provide clarification about your tolerance for pain: if you reboot because things seem "a little slow" or you typically wait until the mouse stops responding.

People whose machines reboot spontaneously without user intervention are NOT allowed to vote and are urged to seek technical assistance.  Go!  Go take care of it now.

Grorgy:
Wellll once a day is what i voted, I usually turn it off at night or whenever i decide to go to bed whenever that may be, but i will reboot at other times if/when needed

app103:
"Only as needed" is defined as once every 2-3 weeks when things start going wrong and I can't do what I want, such as getting Paintshop Pro to open.

I think I need to adjust this value a bit more.

I am running XP Home, this PC is heavily used for a gazillion things, running 24/7, running an average of about 90 processes at all times, and hosts a chatroom that usually averages about 14-16 people.

I don't mind rebooting, but my chatters mind when I do. I really do need another PC to use as a dedicated box for things like that chatroom.

nosh:
I haven't had to restart just to make the OS run smoother for a long long time, XP is surprisingly stable that way, as long as I restart Firefox once a day, I'm fine.

On average, once every couple of days - over 90% of the time coz of new installations. Voted: only as needed as that's more appropriate.

Renegade:
I sometimes go months without rebooting. I answered a week or more though. Sometimes I just reboot because it's been a few weeks and I want to "clean up" so to speak. Especially if I'm doing an interview and need to record.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version