ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help! Any NetGear experts out there?

<< < (5/6) > >>

lanux128:
Any luck?-justice (January 31, 2008, 11:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks for asking, justice but unfortunately the answer is nope, none at all.. but it's ok since basically i've given up the hunt for a solution and the only side-effects are IM & IRC are strictly off-limits. :(

Gothi[c]:
The first thing you should do is try and determine if it's a software problem or a networking problem, or you could be trying to hunt this down forever.

You say they had tracked it down to a winsock error? Did you try from a different computer on the network, or even a different operating system(try a livecd)? If you only have the problem on that one PC, it is most likely NOT your router at fault.

If the problem is OS/computer independent, then you are indeed most likely looking at a router problem.

But it's important to figure out first which of the two you're dealing with, your you'll be chasing ghost's.

lanux128:
just a footnote: with Gothi[c]'s help we have managed to establish that this is a hardware problem as it persist over different apps and OSes but i have a slight suspicion that my ISP is intentionally blocking all IM and IRC communication since the rest of the internet works fine - web, email, ftp,torrents (i downloaded Kubuntu 8.xx in about 4 hours) & etc. however i have no way of proving that is the case.

so, if anyone has any ideas on this, please feel free to come forward. :)

steeladept:
Lanux, that is easy to prove.  Just disconnect the router and connect a PC direct to the wall.  Even if you are using a cable modem, they need to provide the converter (or at least authorize specific models) that will still point to them.  If they authorize specific models, you may need to "borrow" a new one from somewhere, but you can still prove the point rather easily.

Gothi[c]:
Just disconnect the router and connect a PC direct to the wall.

--- End quote ---

I had suggested that too, but
he has a modem/router-in-one as far as I understand, so that's not an option.

However a similar effect can be obtained by disabling NAT and putting it into bridge-mode.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version