topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Best and Worst Consumer Electronics, 2007  (Read 6480 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Best and Worst Consumer Electronics, 2007
« on: November 21, 2007, 09:59 PM »
from BusinessWeek: Best and Worst Consumer Electronics, 2007

makes an interesting reading..

ws-best-worst-2007-1.png
http://www.businessw...c20071120_443334.htm

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best and Worst Consumer Electronics, 2007
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 06:30 AM »
I almost didn't notice this whole part of the story (with the complete list) till I found it in my rss feeds:

http://images.busine...st_tech/index_01.htm

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 06:33 AM »
I hope they have the iPhone listed under worst, otherwise they have no credibility whatsoever.

EDIT: nope, they rate it the best smartphone. Apple whores.
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 06:35 AM by f0dder »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 07:39 AM »
I hope they have the iPhone listed under worst, otherwise they have no credibility whatsoever.

apple-basher  ;)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 07:42 AM »

apple-basher  ;)
I prefer juice-lover, but thank you ;)
- carpe noctem

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 07:43 AM »
I'm getting'll get to use an iMac at work  :tellme:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 07:46 AM by justice »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 10:56 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having a macbook so I could play around with a bit of OS X software development, but I'm no big fan of Apple, I think lot of their design is bollocks, that they're inherently more evil than Microsoft, and their group of zealots is on par with the lunix ones... and iPhone is wank.

:Thmbsup:
- carpe noctem

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 01:39 PM »
If the iPhone wasn't a closed environment, even more than normal phones, something I thought impossible, and a expensive device, I'd say that it could be the best smartphone (as a pure phone, you're better buying the cheapest one they have in the shop) easily. Let's not forget about the "flexible" contracts, the hijacking of your wallet during, 2 years?, the destruction of the trees around Cupertino... etc. ;D

Well, at least the Apple TV panning is universal, what a mess Apple did with that appliance. Is it me or almost every thing in that list is out of reach of mere mortals? And no audio players category :(

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 05:45 PM »
but I'm no big fan of Apple, I think lot of their design is bollocks, that they're inherently more evil than Microsoft, and their group of zealots is on par with the lunix ones...

Amen!

The Apple and Linux religions are just sickening. I have an iPod and a Linux box, but they're just tools in the exact same way that my Windows boxes are tools.

The thing that really just pisses me off is listening to anti-Microsoft drivel about how they're "evil". Apple's behaviour is infinitely worse. When will people wake up to that? Steve Jobs rules with an iron fist far worse than Gates or Ballmer. Gates and Ballmer are far closer to open than Apple ever will be with Jobs at the helm.

MS is changing a lot now, and I expect that we'll see a lot more openness from them in the near future. They've released .NET code under a "read-only" license. Things are changing there, but Apple is going in the opposite direction it seems, e.g. iPhone. Well, they are opening the iPhone somewhat for developers. We'll see though.

I would like to see MS get into the fray and start bidding against Google for bandwidth then launch their own phones. They already have the deals with the carriers though - Google is in for a big challenge when they go up against AT&T and the boys though. Apple knew better than to screw with them for good reason.

And yes - I root for MS because are good to developers and everyone hates them. (If the average person is just average, then their opinions must be too. Better to go against the grain and avoid mediocrity. :) )
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 05:58 PM »
being in the publishing business, the magazine needs to feature products from the big-guns to pull-in the advertisements.. also by placing too many unknowns in the article, they risk dumb-founding their readers as well.. :)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 03:12 PM »
It just depends what way you look at it Renegade, from your .net viewpoint you might be right, but if we look at browsers for example the work Apple has done on webkit is way more open than Microsoft with IE. And Darwin, the base for OSX. What's the point comparing these things anyway. best look at the evidence of who screwed oses out of the market :P

Between 1998 and 2000, Be marketed its BeOS operating system to PC OEMs with some subtlety, but little success. The company had pitched BeOS as a complementary operating system to OEMs' Windows images, allowing users to reboot from the Windows desktop. But Hitachi, one of the few OEMs to bite, discovered that it wasn't permitted to do so by its Windows licensing agreement. When running Windows on dual-boot Hitachi PCs, the user had no indication that another operating system was even present.