ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Visual C++ 2008 Express and native x64 output ?

<< < (3/3)

Eóin:
The full x64 C++ build environments are freely availible but you don't get an IDE. The Vista SDK and if memory serves me correctly then also the Server 2003 SDK R2 both have everything you need, though you have to select x64 manually as a component to install. Unfortunately in both these case you get the VS2005 compilers, not 2008.

f0dder:
The full x64 C++ build environments are freely availible but you don't get an IDE. The Vista SDK and if memory serves me correctly then also the Server 2003 SDK R2 both have everything you need, though you have to select x64 manually as a component to install. Unfortunately in both these case you get the VS2005 compilers, not 2008.
-Eóin (November 22, 2007, 02:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
Is it at least the FULL x64 VS2005 compilers without any handicaps, then?

And where are the x64 libc+STL libraries from, I guess you get them from the SDK, and in 2005 versions?

Eóin:
Good question. The x86 cl.exe targeting amd64 version number from the Server 2003 SDK R2 is 14.0.40310.41, from Vista SDK it's 14.0.50727.42 while the one from VS 2005 SP1 is 14.0.50727.762. Now I'm not sure what the pre SP1 VS 2005 version was.

The Vista SDK really is a complete dev package, it has all the libraries, but no MFC or ATL. However you can get an old version of them from the PSDK which is enough to use WTL should you want. Otherwise the PSDK doen't have the x86 tools at all, you need VS 2005 C++ Express to get those.

The other download worth checking out is Microsoft® Windows® Software Development Kit (SDK) for Windows Server code name “Longhorn” and .NET Framework 3.5 which I don't have downloaded yet.

f0dder:
Sounds messy :)

As for WTL, isn't there a separate download package that has everything you need, or does WTL depend on some MFC/ATL headers? :-s

Eóin:
F0dder you're right it relies on ATL. Thankfully the people behind WTL continune to support the freely availible ATL version 3.0 I believe together with the more recent versions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version