ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Programmer Wanted for Project

(1/2) > >>

friedsonjm:
My wife does translating; I need an html/php [or whatever] that will allow someone to:
1. Upload their file to be translated in .doc or .txt format.
2. Count the number of words.
3. Calculate the cost to translate based on normal or rush service.
4. Carry that cost through to paypal.
5. Make sure the project cost is paid.
6. Send the project to her to be translated!
I have web site hosting with all the 'normal' things someone would expect, at westhost.com in case you want to take a look at what they offer.
Any takers?  Please email me at johnf@ friedson.org [take out space].
thanks,
jf

Veign:
Couple of quick things:
1) You may want to post a budget you have in mind for this project.
2) The Word doc format may run you into problems.  The server would need Word installed to be able to use the Word API to look inside to get an accurate word count - this means a Windows server and you probably won't be able to use a shared server.  May want to put a restriction on the format to just TXT or provide a copy/paste textarea on the website where the user submits the document through that (not sure how big the documents you would be dealing with)
3) Are all words counted or are there stop words (words excluded from count).

The rest is pretty trivial with PHP: from the upload, text document parser, PayPal integration and email/reporting.

Ralf Maximus:
The Word doc format may run you into problems.  The server would need Word installed to be able to use the Word API to look inside to get an accurate word count

--- End quote ---

Mmmmmmaybe, maybe not.  Third party tools exist that parse, manipulate, and display Word documents without needing Office.  The TX Text component is one I've used with great success, for instance.  But it ain't cheap.

tinjaw:
To state the obvious, unicode text would be necessary.

friedsonjm:
The Word doc format may run you into problems.  The server would need Word installed to be able to use the Word API to look inside to get an accurate word count

--- End quote ---

Mmmmmmaybe, maybe not.  Third party tools exist that parse, manipulate, and display Word documents without needing Office.  The TX Text component is one I've used with great success, for instance.  But it ain't cheap.
-Ralf Maximus (November 21, 2007, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yowsa!  Certainly ain't cheap.  Maybe its paste in text to get word count, and attach .doc or .txt or even .pdf file or any MS or OpenOffice format to get translated if you want formatting maintaned? 

jf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version