I think gold is overrated as a medium for minting coinage. We should use uranium instead. "Money burning a hole in your pocket" jokes aside, consider:
- Uranium has comparable (though not equivalent) value to gold;
- Uranium is sure to become a more coveted resource now that we've sucked all the oil out of the ground;
- Switching to a uranium-based economy would stimulate trade like nothing else, since nobody'd want to hang onto the stuff for long;
- Peripheral industries such as geiger counters, lead-lined cash registers & bank vaults would boom, as well as pharmaceutical trade in iodine and other radiation treatments;
- In the event of extended nuclear war, new supplies of plutonium could be had by enriching the country's monetary supply.
See? It's fool proof. Elect me God now you fools, before that Ron Paul gets any of his crazy ideas enacted.