topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: When a dollar is more than a dollar  (Read 3835 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
When a dollar is more than a dollar
« on: November 21, 2007, 09:00 AM »
Crap! I didn't even know that the US, Canada's good neighbour to the south, had adopted a $1 coiin for general circulation.
Read on, though, for an interesting discussion of the origins of currency and the social effect that it had.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21839104/

Money.pngWhen a dollar is more than a dollar

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: When a dollar is more than a dollar
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 10:21 AM »
I think the US $1 coin and the Canadian quarter dollar are about the same size... and about the same value the way the Greenback is trading these days on the currency market.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 10:36 AM »
I think the US $1 coin and the Canadian quarter dollar are about the same size... and about the same value the way the Greenback is trading these days on the currency market.

the first thing I thought when i saw the title was- he's on about them loonies again
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 11:33 AM »
At least you didn't just think "there's that loonie posting more rubbish again", so I am well pleased!

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 11:51 AM »
I think gold is overrated as a medium for minting coinage.  We should use uranium instead.  "Money burning a hole in your pocket" jokes aside, consider:

- Uranium has comparable (though not equivalent) value to gold;

- Uranium is sure to become a more coveted resource now that we've sucked all the oil out of the ground;

- Switching to a uranium-based economy would stimulate trade like nothing else, since nobody'd want to hang onto the stuff for long;

- Peripheral industries such as geiger counters, lead-lined cash registers & bank vaults would boom, as well as pharmaceutical trade in iodine and other radiation treatments;

- In the event of extended nuclear war, new supplies of plutonium could be had by enriching the country's monetary supply.

See?  It's fool proof.  Elect me God now you fools, before that Ron Paul gets any of his crazy ideas enacted.