ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

When children design laptops

(1/3) > >>

app103:
When I saw Amy Tiemann’s blog post on CNET two months ago about a children’s “laptop club,” I asked her to send me some samples. Many permission slips later, a package arrived in the mail bursting with construction paper—a wonderfully crafty collection of laptops designed by seven- to nine-year-olds in North Carolina that are both heartwarmingly personal and frighteningly tied to pop culture. A close study reveals keyboard buttons assigned to “Barbie.com,” “best friends” next to “friends,” “HP [Harry Potter] trivia,” and “werd games” as well as “rily werd games.” I asked Tiemann to explain a little bit about the program, where it came from and what it says about how children (girls in particular) think about computers these days. There are also interviews excerpted below that I conducted with some of the laptops’ designers.

--- End quote ---

http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/galleries/the_laptop_club/

f0dder:
Oh my, those OPEN and CLOSE buttons are huge, I'd hit them by accident all the time :(

Ralf Maximus:
Bahahahaha!!

It makes about as much sense as some of the Vaio or Toshibas I've seen in the past.

Darwin:
Or put another way, the designs stand as much chance of making sense as do some of the latest offerings from the laptop manufacturers. Tangentially, WTF? I've never understood this issue of making a laptop a lifestyle choice - it's a freakin' computer! A tool! (Darwin wipes spittle from his monitor and tries to calm the pounding in his chest... The zealous light fades from his eyes...).

Ralf Maximus:
I've never understood this issue of making a laptop a lifestyle choice - it's a freakin' computer!
-Darwin (November 21, 2007, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're right -- it's not a choice.  Some people are just born that way, craving the laptop experience.  Society isn't mature enough to accept this behavior, but someday we might be come enlightened enough to embrace man-on-laptop love.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version