Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 24, 2014, 02:05:51 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: IDEA: Screensaver for individual screens  (Read 4782 times)
Genomi
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: November 20, 2007, 03:15:08 PM »

Having multiple monitors can be beneficial, but then there comes the thoughts of burn-in when one's not "moving" much. Sometimes I'd like to play a game and leave something on my other screen to monitor, like maybe a download or a chat. The problem with this is, the chat monitor may get a little burn-in or image persistence after a while. My 20" Dell2001FP LCD will give me some image persistence when I leave anything in one spot for even a couple minutes.

I'd like to have a "screensaver" that activates when there's no activity on a screen, but being able to use the other screen(s) while the screensaver is up (i.e. mouse movements won't affect the screensaver until the mouse goes onto that screen).
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 04:44:04 PM »

nice idea.. don't know how hard it would be, but nice idea.
belkira

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 05:30:19 PM »

Have not tested it but I did find this:

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 09:16:59 PM »

did some googling but as belkira mentioned only UltraMon claims to have this feature.. it seems that when it comes multi-monitors, UltraMon is ahead of the crowd, if there is one.. Wink

UltraMon™ Screen Saver
included with UltraMon™, lets you use screen savers that aren't multimon-compatible by running them on the primary monitor and blanking all secondary monitors. You can even run a different screen saver on each monitor!

• http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/products.asp

Genomi
Participant

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 05:42:25 PM »

I tried UltraMon and it's only activating the screensavers when I've not moved my mouse at all. I was hoping for something that would let monitor 2's screensaver come on while I'm doing stuff on monitor 1. Is there a specific way to configure it to do that?
Ralf Maximus
Supporting Member

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 05:57:53 PM »

Ultramon rocks (it's what I use) but indeed, it will only trigger screensavers in the "normal" fashion.

Since .scr files are really just another kind of .exe (right?  right?) it should be possible to write a little something that can launch a specified .scr file and target it on a specific monitor via command-line arguments or something.

But then again I believe in UFOs and the Chupacabra.
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 06:14:07 PM »

i've yet to explore UltraMon fully but at the web-site, there is an add-on named UltraMon Screen Saver Player, maybe this is the missing link.. Wink

• http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/addons.asp

Genomi
Participant

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 02:13:20 PM »

Hey lanux, it works! Like Ralf said, with some Autohotkeying, I've got that to function just as I wanted. I've made it so it turns off when your mouse goes on the screen saver'd monitor too, so it should work much like a regular screen saver would. I'll attach the .ahk (need Autohotkey from www.autohotkey.com). Open the .ahk in notepad and read the instructions first, though - there's a couple lines to edit before it may work for you.

Thanks - now I can use my second monitor without worry!

* screensaver2.ahk (1.28 KB - downloaded 228 times.)
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 09:52:09 PM »

good work, Genomi! i'm sure that AHK script will come-in handy for me as well.. smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.038s | Server load: 0.07 ]